Being charged for cancelling for safety issue

Harmony26
Level 2
Warsaw, MO

Being charged for cancelling for safety issue

Is this something new with hosts being charged for cancelling a guests stay. I have a gas leak in my home which is totally out of my control…….but im being charged $50 for cancelling. This is the first time ever for me to have to cancel. I let my guests know as soon as i could (2 weeks before they arrive)? 

2 Replies 2
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Harmony26 

Consider yourself a lucky person.

If you would have contacted Airbnb and ask for penaltyfree cancellation, they would have cancelled all your upcoming reservations, suspended your listings and ask for documentation to proof the gas-issue has been resolved, including a safety-attest.

Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Harmony26   I had to cancel a guest mid stay two years ago when a tree fell on the house.  I submitted photos letting Airbnb know, and they cancelled penalty free for us and with full refund for the guest.   I also offered to submit the tree surgeons invoices if necessary but they did not require them.  I think, if you submit the repair invoices and demonstrate that this was out of control they will understand, it should be covered by extenuating circumstances