Bizarre and gross behavior

Michelle2475
Level 8
Massachusetts, United States

Bizarre and gross behavior

We've been hosting for just over a year.  There is a Ring camera at the front door (fully disclosed in the listing).  If there are motion alerts at weird times I often check.  Well, apparently people think the rocks on either side of the front door is a great place to vomit.  Now, we've had two groups in a row that have stood in the doorway (not even stepping outside) and urinated directly in front of the door.  Of course, they then walk through it all weekend.  Oh, and the group prior to those two thought that urinating on either side of the doorway - in full on daylight - was appropriate.  Please understand I have two bathrooms and they walk by one, if not both, on their way out.  I've actually had to put this in my listing: "Due to recent events, there is now an OUTDOOR cleaning fee added for inappropriate behavior. Basically don't do anything you wouldn't do in front of your grandmother. It's a family neighborhood and there are things they don't wish to see..."

Any other suggestions?  Clearly, guests don't care or read.  Utilities were over the top this past winter from people leaving the door wide open in 10 degree weather regardless of signs, pleas on booking messages, etc.  Do I just throw up my hands at all of this?

18 Replies 18
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Michelle2475 

You need some stickers ! :

Emiel1_0-1621529278032.jpeg

I assumed it were males which caused the trouble, but otherwise:

Emiel1_2-1621529489806.png

Michelle2475
Level 8

@Emie1 I actually bought a metal sign like the first one you showed but my husband thinks it would be in bad taste.  One more incident and I am certainly going to!

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Michelle2475 

you need outdoor decorative toilet 🙂

(please use artificial plants)

str.png

@Branka-and-Silvia0 I don't think drunk guys can aim that well! :)))

@Michelle2475  that's why you need at least 3 😄 😄

aaah, Michelle... we have to joke sometimes or we would end up on pills after few months of hosting 😄

Or selling!  In our cases houses are selling within a week and in most cases at or above asking price!  I bet the guy we bought it from last January is kicking himself 😂

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

How getting some holly bushes that would stop them 😁😁😁😁

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

Ugh @Michelle2475. It would seem that this kind of behavior stems perhaps from over imbibing? And no, guests don't read our house rules. Maybe one in ten of mine show evidence of having read the rules at booking. I actually use my house rules to tell me that, and again to direct the guest back to have  to read them. You need to make sure your guests know about the security cameras, although by the time they are falling down drunk and peeing out your front door, I doubt they'd remember they're there. By now you should be a little more clued in to the red flags these guests are perhaps waving at booking time? Sometimes it's best to decline a guest you're uneasy about, rather than accept and deal with the fallout, which often drains the payout, making it not worth it. Re the open door issue, perhaps there is some kind of sensor you can install that beeps when the door is left open too long.

Michelle2475
Level 8

@Colleen253 the scary part is one guy looked directly into the camera in the act.  Yes, they are mostly falling down drunk - but why walk past a bathroom, down a flight of stairs, and past another bathroom to do this?  I have to say that, other than that particular issue, they were perfectly fine guests.  There weren't any red flags and both parties had good reviews.  I, however, did mention it in their reviews and marked them as would not host again.

I have a Yale Lock with August that tells me when the door has been open for more than four minutes.  I try to hold off saying anything but after 15 minutes I need to.  Sometimes it's just that they haven't fully latched it and when I text them they do close it.  Strangely enough it's the families that are the absolute worst.  Most of the groups of young guys have been much better than the families!  I've taken a chance on a few different groups of younger kids and they turned out to very respectful!

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

I witnessed this with one of my guests once. Not because I have a camera but I was walking by and saw him! I was shocked. The house is in-town with neighbors, on an intersection! I bet this happens more than we think, as your camera clearly shows. 

Michelle2475
Level 8

@Emilia42 I'm ashamed to say the last time my husband and I were at the house I caught him in the act (not near the door) and I was like WTF!  His only reply was that it's a guy thing.  I guess if I can't stop my own husband then...but at the doorstep is a whole different story.

@Michelle2475 yes it does seem to be a guy thing, in my experience as well. 😕

@Michelle2475 @Lisa723  yes it's a guy thing, dogs and cats do it all the time, it's called territorial marking 😄

Michelle2475
Level 8

By the way folks, I've seen bears come right up to the doorstep when no one is there.  Part of me wishes the guests would see one and think better of it!