Booked and paid in full but the owners fire the manager and now I'm left to rebook and fight for my full refund

Brian2950
Level 1
Dallas, TX

Booked and paid in full but the owners fire the manager and now I'm left to rebook and fight for my full refund

Booked a home almost 4.5 months ago, paid in full and then I get a text from the owners stating they have had issues with the manager and wants me to cancel (Within 3 weeks) and book directly with them. I go to cancel on AIRBNB and it is only giving back 50%. 

Didn't the owners already get paid? Why am I have to repay and fight and wait for AIRBNB to refund my full amount.. 

This is time consuming and frustrating when its 3 weeks till our trip and I am now paying double until AIRBNB reminds 

7 Replies 7
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Do not cancel the booking . @Brian2950 

The owner is behaving badly by asking you to do this . if you cancel you will lose 50% - they will know this. 

even if you want to book directly you would lose all protection if there was a problem with the listing.

in your situation I would  call Airbnb explain what has happened and ask them to cancel penalty free so you can find an alternative listing. 

but first message on the platform to the manager and ask them to explain why the owner reached out to you about cancelling the booking . Say you no longer feel safe going ahead with the booking as you are concerned it may not be available on arrival. 

Airbnb hold your payment until the day after your check in , in case of any issues with the property.

@Helen3 ,

thank you for the feedback. The problem is, the owner has not been able to reach the manager they had for weeks at a time and i too messaged the manager / host on another question two weeks ago and heard nothing back. The owners are now taken control of the AIRBNB site. I do not feel the owner are doing anything shady and I appreciated them reaching out, and yes, If I cancel, i'm only due half. I did call AIRBNB and they said they would try reaching the host and she has 48 hours to respond. I did rebook with the new owners but as it stands, I'm $5000 into a 2 day stay. 

I guess I'll wait the 48 hrs and then see what happen.

thank you for the feedback Helen

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

How did you rebook with the new owners ?

do you mean you are already staying at the listing? 

have you now paid twice ? 

@Helen3 ,

the owners sent me a PayPal since they now manage their home. 

On  Airbnb, they now show as the host, not the manager. 

yes, I paid Airbnb initially and then them via PayPal. 

they said they kept the dates blocked. They also called Airbnb and explained the situation and they said they would investigate so until a resolution, I double paid. 

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

I don't know how to advise you the host should never have asked you to pay him directly.

If the owner  is showing as the host now for the listing you booked they will be paid for the booking by Airbnb . 

so will in effect be paid twice . 

it's a complete mess created by the owner.

the only way I can see to resolve it is for the owner to return your money . 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Brian2950 This sounds more anymore like a scam to me. I fear the 'owner' may actually be scamming you. Sorry

@Brian2950 

You can always get full money back if you’re refused to access. You can tell the owner that he should cancel since he can’t provide access. 

Do it amicably with the airbnb host. If he has agreed to full refund you in Airbnb and you want to cancel, ask him to reach out to Airbnb. 

It’s not about who’s right who’s wrong. it’s about the time and money to move forward quickly…the more you wait, the more guest loses.