Booking and cancellations

Laura3187
Level 1
Hudson, NY

Booking and cancellations

Hi there! I am brand new and managing 2 high end properties. I was curious to know if it’s normal to have cancelations just days before arrival? 

I know I can do a tighter cancellation policy but that seems to deter bookings. Is there a happy medium anyone would recommend?

Also I really need to fill these gaps from cancellations with new summer bookings. Tips on getting their attention?

thank you so much!

4 Replies 4
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I have used a strict policy since starting eight years ago and it doesn't seem to have affected my bookings @Laura3187 

If you don't want last minute cancellations change your cancellation policy. 

it really depends on your location/type of property as to whether you get lots of last minute cancellations 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Laura3187 I suspect the last thing you need is to have to try and rent a high end property at the last minute. The problem with a flexible cancellation policy is that guests can (and do) book a place as a back up but search last minute for a cheaper/better place that has been discounted at the last minute. The only solution is a Strict cancellation policy I am afraid.

Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

@Laura3187 On the subject of filling gaps created by cancelations, a couple of times I have put at the top of my listing description “**Rare cancellation - November 20-25 now available!**”. That has worked well for me.

Another thing I have done is use Airbnb’s Promotion feature. You can provide dates for the promotion, and if the discount is 20% or higher from your normal rate, Airbnb will feature your property in publications and emails to potential guests. They also provide a “strikethrough” display of the new price, crossing out the old price and displaying the new. This has also worked well for me. The only issue is that I think some people have had issues seeing the Promotion option in the most recent Summer release, but it may be just a glitch.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Laura3187 ,

I hope our members' insights have helped you!

Did you eventually go ahead with a strict cancellation policy or preferred a flexible one?

Would love to know what works best for your listing!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines