Can I use the word Cannabis in a review?

Answered!
Estefania120
Level 2
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Can I use the word Cannabis in a review?

Hi! 

I had a guest that smoked cannabis during his stay and since I found proof (butts and ashes) I’m going to charge him the smoking fee. But, should I leave a review that mentions the use of cannabis or marijuana? I ask this because in my country this is an illegal substance and also because I don’t know if we as host are allowed to publicly mention this activities. Also, I read that the word marijuana is offensive. 

I don’t want my account to get restricted or flagged because of a review.

Thank you.

1 Best Answer
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Estefania120   You can simply state that the guest was smoking products which were in violation of the house rules.

That would infer that the "products" were not cigarettes.

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Renee291
Level 7
Cincinnati, OH

I'm not sure about your review question, but I don't see why not.  About 3 years ago, I had a guest smoke pot in my non-smoking house. I tried to charge for getting rid of the smell but Airbnb did not back me on that, and of course the guest did not willingly pay.  It was horrible, and the next guest has a very real expectation of going into a home that doesn't smell like skunk. 

I now state there's a $200 fee for smoking in the house but I'm not sure I could actually collect that after the stay, and I doubt anyone rude enough to violate that house rule is going to pay. Fortunately, I have not had that issue since, but I've had guests discard butts in the yard and flower pots.  Yuck.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Estefania120 Airbnb do not usually support the charging of fines for misbehaviour such as smoking no matter what your house rules may say.

Estefania120
Level 2
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

@Mike-And-Jane0 This has happened before and they have paid.

George1495
Level 2
Dover, NH

@Estefania120 I would charge the cleaning fee and leave it at that.  Hopefully they were a good guest otherwise. 

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Estefania120   You can simply state that the guest was smoking products which were in violation of the house rules.

That would infer that the "products" were not cigarettes.

Hey there! As a new host, I can understand your concern regarding mentioning cannabis in your review. It's always best to communicate with your guests and address any issues or concerns during their stay. Maybe in his country, it's legal, and he didn't realize it's not allowed in your place. Regarding mentioning it in your review, it might be best to avoid it since it's illegal in your country, and it could cause some issues. Also, I stumbled upon some info about the **  and their attitude toward cannabis. Maybe they can recommend you something how to deal with this case.

**[Link removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines ]