Can guests invite a big group of people for meal?

Answered!

Can guests invite a big group of people for meal?

Hi,

Wonder about your opinion.

In my house rules I wrote that there are no parties allowed.

I have guest over at the moment and just found out they invited a lot of people over for a meal.

Isn't this a party? When is something a party and when a family meal.

Can guests bring over who they want and how many they want for a meal?

I had guest over before who brought a guest for lunch or dinner and I never mind, but an whole family event is something different no?

Looking forward to your opinions.

Thanks in advance, Miriam

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Miriam164   First of all, any guest who wants to invite other friends or family over needs to ask the host if this is acceptable. It just seems like common courtesy to me, regardless of whether "no parties" is stated or not. So if they didn't ask, then no, I wouldn't allow it. It's totally presumptuous.

Many hosts don't allow any unregistered guests on the property at all, period. Some don't mind, depending on whether the guest has requested permission, and on what type of gathering it is. 

I myself wouldn't mind a guest who had asked first, having a friend over for a drink or to share a meal. I don't consider an small adult dinner party to be a "party" like some rager with loud music, drunken behavior and a cast of thousands. But if it's a big family gathering, with kids running around, lots of noise, and so on, no way, that's a party for sure.

To be considered is, if they have people over, all those people are using your amenities- water, toilet paper, towels, soap, etc. For free. And likely creating a whole lot of garbage. Nor will you have any support from Airbnb on a claim for damages if one of their "guests" breaks something, plugs up the toilet, etc.

View Best Answer in original post

17 Replies 17
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Miriam164   First of all, any guest who wants to invite other friends or family over needs to ask the host if this is acceptable. It just seems like common courtesy to me, regardless of whether "no parties" is stated or not. So if they didn't ask, then no, I wouldn't allow it. It's totally presumptuous.

Many hosts don't allow any unregistered guests on the property at all, period. Some don't mind, depending on whether the guest has requested permission, and on what type of gathering it is. 

I myself wouldn't mind a guest who had asked first, having a friend over for a drink or to share a meal. I don't consider an small adult dinner party to be a "party" like some rager with loud music, drunken behavior and a cast of thousands. But if it's a big family gathering, with kids running around, lots of noise, and so on, no way, that's a party for sure.

To be considered is, if they have people over, all those people are using your amenities- water, toilet paper, towels, soap, etc. For free. And likely creating a whole lot of garbage. Nor will you have any support from Airbnb on a claim for damages if one of their "guests" breaks something, plugs up the toilet, etc.

@Sarah977 thank you for your reply. But do you know if there is a airbnb rule about geust who want to bring geust over? Where is it written on the airbnb site?

Miriam164, yes there is Airbnb  written rule about guest who want to bring extra guest, go to your help Center and search guests who want to bring extra guest to your experience and you'll find it.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Miriam164  I'm not aware of any airbnb written rule about guests of guests, but hopefully some other hosts will join the discussion who may know. 

Basically, we as  hosts, make our own house rules, and it is our responsibility to make sure our guests are clear on them and we need to enforce them. 

Don't expect airbnb to enforce your house rules or the definition of "party".

@Sarah977 thanks Sarah.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Miriam164 Is this a room in your house, or an entire apartment? I think that there are different protocols. 

@Gordon0 it is an entiry house just the roof deck is shared space. 

Maritza30
Level 2
Stafford Township, NJ

If it's only 4-5 persons invited for dinner, I would not classify it as a party but if they invited a lot more,  then it's a party and they're breaking the house rules. 

@Maritza30 yes it is a lot more then 5 people 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Maybe best to forget to try to define what a 'party' is, or isn't, for that is a wild goose chase. What if the people are happy then it is a 'party', if they are sad, it is a 'wake'?

Also perhaps best to not worry what Airbnb thinks on the subject, it's not their place, they are not on the mortgage.

This situation should be goverened by a host's policy on 'Visitors & Extra Guests'. And the rules they set should be based on the reality of their invidual place, meaning how much control they have over it.

If it is an entire home, like in this case,  then guests may feel is 'ok' to invite many by virtue of space available and facilities, and maybe because the host is 'not around'. Best to set the rules before hand, and yes, based on expecting  the worse not the best and you will be covered (with necessary enforcement at times).

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I'm with @Fred13. Certainly when I rent an entire place, I consider it as my own (within reason) and wouldn't think twice about inviting a few friends over for dinner. I took a four-bed place in Barcelona last year and had a few 'movie nights' with six/seven guests.

Being told who you can invite is a little offputting for me, but we're all different.   

@Gordon0   Well in your case, it would probably be fine with most hosts, because you behave like a responsible, respectful adult.

Unfortunately, according to the posts I read here all the time, there seem to be an awful lot of people these days who should behave responsibly, judging by their age, but, in fact, don't.

Message from host:  "XXX- the outside security cameras show 4 unregistered guests entering the flat last night at 7 PM and not emerging until 11 AM this morning. You will soon receive a reservation alteration to include the extra guests, for which we charge $25/person. We will also require ID from the extra guests."

Response from guest: "Oh, no, those were just my college chums who came over to watch the soccer match and have a few beers. Since it was late and they'd had a few, they decided it was better to crash here for the night and drive home in the morning. They're not actually staying here."

Meanwhile, they've all had 20 minute hot showers, used up all the clean bedding and towels in the closet and helped themselves to a flat of bottled water.

So how did you respond to that ? Did you insist they pay ? 
     Thanks ! 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

As to the what does abb say, the abb tos day that no one may bring any additional guests to Experiences. It is silent on Homes. So, this is a category for you to dictate. 

In my my case I say that parties are allowed BUT that there are fees for all guests. & that all must be declared, approved & paid for. 

Hosts do different things & guests expect different things so YOU must be clear about how it works at your place.