Can guests invite a big group of people for meal?

Answered!

Can guests invite a big group of people for meal?

Hi,

Wonder about your opinion.

In my house rules I wrote that there are no parties allowed.

I have guest over at the moment and just found out they invited a lot of people over for a meal.

Isn't this a party? When is something a party and when a family meal.

Can guests bring over who they want and how many they want for a meal?

I had guest over before who brought a guest for lunch or dinner and I never mind, but an whole family event is something different no?

Looking forward to your opinions.

Thanks in advance, Miriam

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Miriam164   First of all, any guest who wants to invite other friends or family over needs to ask the host if this is acceptable. It just seems like common courtesy to me, regardless of whether "no parties" is stated or not. So if they didn't ask, then no, I wouldn't allow it. It's totally presumptuous.

Many hosts don't allow any unregistered guests on the property at all, period. Some don't mind, depending on whether the guest has requested permission, and on what type of gathering it is. 

I myself wouldn't mind a guest who had asked first, having a friend over for a drink or to share a meal. I don't consider an small adult dinner party to be a "party" like some rager with loud music, drunken behavior and a cast of thousands. But if it's a big family gathering, with kids running around, lots of noise, and so on, no way, that's a party for sure.

To be considered is, if they have people over, all those people are using your amenities- water, toilet paper, towels, soap, etc. For free. And likely creating a whole lot of garbage. Nor will you have any support from Airbnb on a claim for damages if one of their "guests" breaks something, plugs up the toilet, etc.

View Best Answer in original post

17 Replies 17

@Miriam164   It's up to you as the host to determine what's acceptable. I allow parties, but like Kelly they pay for party and have to hold it at the venue on the property, not the rental.  

In my rules:

The person who reserves the property must be the person checking in and will be responsible for all other guests in the group. No additional visitors allowed on property without owners pre-approval.

In my rental agreement:

• Non-Registered/Resident Social Guests– NO additional people beyond the maximum occupancy of 12 persons in the house are allowed on the rental property at any time, unless expressly agreed upon, in writing, by Owner. The registered guests shall be liable for all acts of the family, invitees, employees, or other persons invited onto the rental property by guest, and will not HOLD the Owner responsible for liabilities caused by registered or non-registered guests.
    The names and ages of all guests (Adults, Children and Infants) staying at the rental must be listed on the rental agreement in the space provided. If the names of the guests in your group change, this must be communicated in writing to the Owner. Owner must approve any additional guests in writing prior to arrival and are subject to additional nightly fees if accepted by the Owner. Guest's reservation is accepted for one family or group of individuals for this accommodation only, and, unless disclosed to and accepted by the Owner will not be used in combination with other accommodations.

@Miriam164  

I have it in my own house rules that I do NOT allow the Airbnb guest to invite or bring anyone else into my home.

I have a private guest room in my home - the guest is NOT allowed to bring random people that "I" do not know into my home, no exceptions. How would guests feel if I brought home strangers (that happen to be my friends or relatives but complete strangers to the guest) and let them wander freely into the guest room to take a look around, take a nap in the guest bed, snoop thru the guest closet, leave half eaten food on the guest's bedside table, drink all the milk from the guest shelf in the fridge, use up all the available guest towels and clog up the guest toilet? If I were to say.......it's MY house (and you're nothing but a temporary guest) so I can do whatever I want~ I wonder how guests will feel? 

We respect guest privacy and personal items - we ask the guest to extend the same courtesy towards the hosts and our home. In the end, it's really up to the host to decide what they are able to accomodate and allow. Guests are responsible for finding a place that meets their needs. 

We had this happen a few times since we rent one half of our duplex. In each case the guest asked BEFORE they booked the space. Two couples visited and asked if they could cook a meal for their adult children. Left the apartment spotless at the end of the weekend.  Like you - we had no problem with that.

Another guest asked if people could come over and his list quickly grew to 12 people (future son-in-law, his parents, the daughter's local friends, etc.) It was a short time between church and graduation ceremonies, then a few hours before dinner. I agreed to allow it for one day only (not the entire length of stay). They were respectful but we did find that guests had helped themselves to paper plates to have lunch and the sparkling water in a storage cabinet we stock for future guests. One kid left an open bag of cheese crackers on the duvet (leaving a grease stain) in the back bedroom. So a bit nervy, but nothing huge and earth shattering. Still, I won't allow this again. It was too many people and too much wear and tear for the weekend even for that one day exception.

The operative word here, however, is they asked first before booking and agreed to conditions I set.

But guests aren't allowed to invite people to your space if they didn't ask permission. I just showed "the door" to a man who was viewing the space at the request of a neighbor and commenting about inviting extra people over. When I said "no," he got huffy and said, "I figured since I was renting the space I could do whatever I wanted."

I politely explained the rules and then politely told him I wasn't comfortable with him renting the apartment.

I add that example to show that people honestly think that they "own" the place for the term of the rental. So I set my maximum occupancy at 4 and say that no one can stay there who is not on the rental agreement. And that all damage is billed at "replacement cost."

Tell the guest they violated house rules and go inspect your space for damages before they leave.