Can guests see their star ratings?

Answered!
Jude7
Level 10
Rhinebeck, NY

Can guests see their star ratings?

I'd  like to leave honest feedback regarding a guest.  I realize the text of a review follows a guest, but how about their star rating?

Do guests see the stars given to them, in addition to the review?  Who else sees the star ratings of a guest? If I give the guest less than perfect stars, will the guest know that the star rating came from me?  How will the guest be impacted if I give less than 5 stars?

How about the thumbs up or down - who sees that and will it be traced back to me?

Thanks!

Jude

1 Best Answer
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Bhumika_0-1699047984033.png

Thanks

-----

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

View Best Answer in original post

72 Replies 72

@Jessica165 Has this been confirmed to you somehow?  That guests can see their star ratings?  Or is it just because your past guest knew what his star rating was?  There are other reasons for the guest knowing what the star rating is other than by seeing it on their own profile.  For example, I have mentioned issues with star ratings to potential guests (e.g. "You only have 3 stars for cleanliness and that gives me some concern".  Also, I had someone book a stay who is a friend of a friend and teased him, "you know you only have 4 stars for communication?".  Anyways, I'm really interested to know if guests can see their star ratings or not so just curious if it's an assumption or you know something else?

I had a guest contact me asking why they only received 3 stars for cleanliness. They weren’t new to airbnb & had several reviews so that leaves me to believe they can see the different categories 😉 

As a guest, I still don't know how to see my ratings. I see the reviews, which seem fine on the surface, but I don't know about the rating.

Krysta5
Level 1
Lincoln, CA

As a newer Air BnB user I will say that I’m surprised that any host has an expectation of a house so clean you didn’t know they were there. We pay a cleaning fee for this reason right?

When a host (as our recent did) simply says “leave house clean” I don’t have any idea what that means to them. It could mean “don’t trash the place” or it could mean they have an expectation that on the day of my checkout I will also perform housekeeping tasks so that a housekeeper isn’t needed after. This is news to me. I sure hope each of you are leaving these expectations clearly in detailed writing. Because you are the exception, not the norm. 

A three star rating if a guest meets your expectations? Well that’s ok if the expectation goes both ways. So if your home meets my expectations it’s three stars then right?

No of course not! That would harm your business and be unfair.

Please consider that your departure from  Airbnb norms might mean that guest cannot get a rental in the future- because they simply met expectations. 

And please consider that unless you have explicitly written out and detailed your clean up expectations- the guest is following what is considered normal. That is to say, don’t trash the place. Leave it for cleaners. 

@Krysta5 

Just to clarify- there is a bullet list on the fridge that includes exactly whats expected for check-out. Things such as: Take Kitchen trash out to bin (to avoid bugs), Leave dirtied towels on bathroom floors (so they’re easy for cleaning crew to find), Turn off HVAC & close all windows/doors.

Its also clearly explained in the confirmation email & checkout sheet that the kitchen is to be left in reasonably clean order & at minimum the dishwasher should be loaded & running. 

In this specific case the guests left nearly 20 place settings w/ week old dried foods filling counters & sinks. The sink side without garbage disposal was filled with black beans rice and had maggots. This naturally required a lot more cleaning time than normal so we received an invoice charge from the cleaning crew (which we covered without making an issue). 

Its very uncommon for us to leave less than 5 stars- we’ve served as hosts for over 4 years & also been guests in many countries so we’re well aware things happen and sometimes stuff doesn’t get done...its only when warranted that a rated is lowered. 

Anthony608
Level 10
Silver Spring, MD

Very late in the game here, but this is still a valid and active question.  From what I have come to understand, guests can *not* see their own star ratings.  I happen to think this is a very good thing.  I have left some good reviews in the narrative, but have sometimes knocked a guest down on star ratings because they did something minor, like left trash in the room or left an hour past checkout, but it wasn't serious enough to hurt them in the narrative for all to see.

There have also been a very small number of cases where I left very low star ratings and the people were local or could have conceivably come back to the house and tried to start something.  Granted, that was very rare, but in those cases I gave a bland narrative review and then hit them heavy on the low stars.  In those cases, I am glad they could not see the star ratings.

Can anyone confirm that Only if you use "instant book" can a Host see the Guest Star rating?

I cant see it. If true I would like SuperHost who do not use "instant book" to be able to see the Guest Star rating. 

No one can see it.  I wish it was the same for guests as it it for hosts. It seems hosts are way more punished than guests are if the get a so-so review??

That seems rather unfair and passive-aggressive. Why give a guest a nice review but ding them with the Stars? 

@Coby11  Agreed. And cowardly. Misleads hosts who don't use IB and can't see star ratings, too.

Jane2729
Level 2
Truckee, CA

For me It's simple to be a great guest.  But maybe there's a misunderstanding about cleaning.  As a host I view the cleaning fee being applied to preparing the place and making sure all the details are just so to impress guests when they walk through the door. It's not a maid service after they leave. You don't have to leave it immaculate,  most guest are great but sometimes not so respectful or hygienic. Because of the later that's why there are rules in my book.

I had a recent guest that left days of food scraps all over the kitchen and living room, thick bacon grease caked onto the stove and walls, cereal and chocolate in the couch, stains on the LV rug, whiskers and shaving cream on the bathroom floor & walls....that was insulting and gross - and cleaners charge more for that.

Do you think that hosts should be responsible for personal messes. Where is the line???

As a guest and a host I always take the sheets off the bed and towels and put them in a pile.  I sweep up any food, wipe counters, wash the dishes and remove hair from drains and sinks. I do this at home, at friends houses and at abnb's – out of habit and good manners.

I think If you leave the place like you'd leave your house and take care of your food mess and hygiene debris – your a dream guest. Thoughts? This is a great question– thanks!

I'll leave this here, the only comment I feel worth adding is that  it was from another  Host.

Obviously not a Forbes reader.  3 stars.

Annotation 2020-02-12 221720.jpg

Eileen58
Level 4
Fayetteville, AR

I would very much like for an AIRBNB employee to assure us that a guest cannot see their rating.  It would be very helpful for other hosts to know if they are terrible at communicating or were disrespectful - without the fear of them coming. back and "punishing" the host in some way.  Does Airbnb ever monitor these conversations? lt appears that this has been a persistent question now for 3 or so years. I just found a pile of sticky caked forks and knives mixed with the clean silverware.  I don't feel like publicly shaming the guest but want to warn future hosts; an honest star rating of the guest would be great.  I will post a sign for future guests to please wash their dishes. 

Oh! and regarding stripping the beds - I ask my guests to not do this so if there is a stain of some sort left behind, I can easily see it and get it treated before popping them into the laundry.  

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Eileen58 ,

Thanks for your question. When a host leaves a guest a review and rating, only the review is shown when it is published to their profile which is 14 days after the stay is completed. I do hope that clears this up for you!

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Hanna1999
Level 2
Palo Alto, CA

I am a seldom airbnb user/guest. My first time was in VC, Canada and had a wonderful experience and I believe I wrote a great review about my experience. I did NOT know hosts review on their guest existed until few moments ago...  I had my only other airbnb experience (s) in Nov2020 which was supposed to be a birthday excursion that was fine until my last day. Apparently, there was a huge misunderstanding between the host and myself. I had contacted the host before making a reservation to make sure I had the place for 3 nights checking in Wed night and checking out on Saturday morning. I had already curved out activities for each day and so on Friday morning, I was off to my Bike ride tour kind of far into the woods where getting phone reception was difficult. During one of our rest time, I checked my phone only to discover more than dozen of missed calls (from a number I did not recognize) and later after having talked to the host found a voice message. Seeing it was the same number with an area code of where I was staying, I was a bit freaked out and called the number. The host sounded angry that I did not answer his calls and asked I immediately return and check out from the place. I was totally confused and tried to explain that my check out date was not until the next morning. He said that I was wrong... I tired to take him back to the exchange of messages we had before I booked including a phone call to no avail. When I asked if I could extend my stay for one more night, he said that he already had the room booked with other guests and my belongings will be placed for me in their storage room and to let them know when I return. I had enjoyed the place in every way for the two nights I had been there (even though I had no contact with the owners), but that last day I did not see it coming in any way. When I finally arrived at the place, I had to wait for about 30 min or so (I don't really recall but they did not come right away even though I gave them ample time of when I was going to be there after our last rest area. I called once before starting my drive to the place from the bike store and they said someone will be waiting for me there. I waited for about 15 min for so before I called again...  I never knew what eviction felt like other than seeing the brokenness people felt going through it due to life circumstances in movies, but I felt the tinge of it that day... my belongings were stuffed in black garbage bags in unpleasant manner (I am very picky about my things and like keeping things neatly folded even then putting them in bags)... felt like a homeless person for a bit at that moment. Slowly but sadly put my things in order in my luggage and headed out to find another airbnb room for the night. My conversation the the wife was not pleasant either. She actually tried to scare me pulling "talk to our lawyer card" unnecessarily.  I was just trying to have few days of peaceful and joyful time with nature taking a break from a busy Mon to Fri job in remembrance of my born day... 

It was really hard to find something on the spot at that time and I had to cancel one (lost the booking money) coz I felt kind of unsafe driving in the neighborhood that I am not unfamiliar with in the dusk... So, booked another one which was an inn in one of the major streets, which I did not was an inn until I got here... I am sorry if I am boring you with my story... I don't recall if I had done a rating on the host, but I did have an extensive conversation with the airbnb customer service. 

Tonight, I made a reservation just for one night, but some 15 or so minutes later, I got a message from the host saying, "I'm sorry😭 we have to be super picky our neighborhood doesn't like us having air bnb. I'm sorry you got an unfair review If that's the case 😕 I'm so sorry!."  I was truly confused due to the mixed message. When I asked what review she was referring to, the host was kind enough to tell me the location of my last stay and I instantly knew what she was referring to.  I understand that hosts look at other hosts review of guests just like as prospective guest, I like reading other guest's review of a place before I book one. As most do I am sure, what I am looking for is a reasonably comfortable accommodation that is clean and safe. The rest of the goodies are extra. When reading negative reviews, I try to see them objectively if the person reviewing is being reasonable or just saying things especially when there are several good reviews. I know I don't have a lot of experience that host may not have much to look for, but I would have appreciated it if she would have asked what happened to afford me some benefit of doubt instead of instantly writing me off like that reading one negative review. I have yet to see what it says. Maybe one of you could help me find it. Would you? Thank you. But I want to say to our hosts, please talk to your prospective guests to get to know them a little better before making a hasty decision. I know life is busy and sometimes we get caught up running busy with the business of running a business, which I believe is not an easy task. But a little kindness could go a very long way especially in this time and age. We really do not know who people are until we give them a chance. People with open heart had entertained angles unknowingly, because they were open enough to extend the same kindness that they would want for themselves. Thanks again for your time and wish both the travelers and hosts a blessed experience!