Can guests see their star ratings?

Answered!
Jude7
Level 10
Rhinebeck, NY

Can guests see their star ratings?

I'd  like to leave honest feedback regarding a guest.  I realize the text of a review follows a guest, but how about their star rating?

Do guests see the stars given to them, in addition to the review?  Who else sees the star ratings of a guest? If I give the guest less than perfect stars, will the guest know that the star rating came from me?  How will the guest be impacted if I give less than 5 stars?

How about the thumbs up or down - who sees that and will it be traced back to me?

Thanks!

Jude

1 Best Answer
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Bhumika_0-1699047984033.png

Thanks

-----

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

View Best Answer in original post

72 Replies 72
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Jude7

I seriously doubt any host really knows what black hole those star ratings for guests disappear into...

They are never shown, and instant bookings, even if only guests with good reviews are allowed to book, seem to only register whether a guest was given thumbs up or down. 

I hope somebody else tunes in here with information about the thumbs effect.

Only thing I once saw was a comment in a hosts' review section  to the tune of 'This accommodation was not recommended'. Of course I'm hoping the same thing applies to guests.

Although, star ratings by hosts are not seen by guests and don't seem to actually make a dent like they do for hosts, you could try the thumbs down and at the same time actually write a test reflecting your dissatisfaction. If the 'not recommended' text is also used for the guest, then yes, the guest will be able to guess who it came from.

However all of this from my side is educated guessing only...

Here's my guess of the importance of star ratings. Many Hosts myself included are very careful about writing a very negative review. However knowing that the star rating is not viewable we can be free to be more accurate. Now once there is a complaint about a guest my guess is that airbnb will refer to the star ratings the guest has recieved and use those ratings in determining the true quality of a guest. Again I have no idea but it is the only logical reason I can think of for the reason behind the confidential guest star rating. A guest who consistently gets 5 stars will get 5 star treatment from airbnb, while guests with few stars who have an issue will be viewed as suspect.

Thank you, @Ephraim0 and @Andrea9!

You both confirmed what I tried to find out on my own - that the guest stars are a bit nebulous - perhaps used, as Ephraim has said, as a back-door rating system when hosts have been less than candid on their written reviews.

I just had a guest check out who wasn't awful, but one who didn't rise much above my minimum expectations.  I don't really want to leave a scathing review, because it's not warranted.  But I would like to be more accurate in my "stars", but wasn't sure what the impact would be - on myself, the guest, or their future bookings.

Can't see myself agonizing one moment longer over 2 stars or 3 if no one gets to see it.  On the other hand, if I'm leaving a cyber-trail, I sure would like to know where it goes!  

Jude

PS - Is there any way to make suggestions to the Airbnb admins?  I would like to see a more unified rating system - since as hosts our stars  DO count.  It wouldn't be too difficult to translate stars into something like:

5 - exceeded expectations

4 - met expectations

3 - met minimum expectations

2 - fell short of expectations

1 - failed to approach expectations

And I bet as you're reading this list, you may have a completely different understanding of what a 1 - 5 rating scale means to you!  And if that is so - now multiply that by all the people who respond, each with a different understanding of what that system means.  That translates into - how is the star system valid - for hosts or guests?

Jude

Christine1
Level 10
Glenbrook, Australia

Latest news headline.....

AirBnb hosts transfixed by Gazing@OurNebulousStarRatings... a new galaxy for the mind of dedicated hosts!

*.* *.* *.* *.* 

#: )

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Jude7 @Ephraim0 @Christine1

you might enjoy this recent reaad on what review ratings mean, but then for hosts not guests

Forbes artikel on the review burnout stress for SH

(and it's silly, but my heartrate does go up before I click on 'read X's review)

@Andrea9 , @Christine1 - Thanks for the giggle, Christine, and Thank You, Andrea, for the link to that Forbes article that says EXACTLY what I was trying to say!  How timely!  And in Forbes, no less.  Just last week.  If it has reached the pages of Forbes, it must be a real issue.  How can Airbnb be oblivious to the confusion the star system is causing?

The article was so good I'm going to share it in another post, since this thread is about whether or not guests can SEE their stars!

I'm thinking that I might educate my guests as to what the stars actually mean from a host's point of view - in other words, a reflection of expectations.  My place is an upscale camper that is sure to exceed expectations.  But if a guest believes the rating system is similiar to that which rates luxury hotels - I'll never be rated more than a 2 - in spite of my over-the-top attempts at providing for my guests needs. Because I am a camper in the woods, after all.

Maybe it's time to revamp the system?  So again I ask - does anyone from Airbnb admin read these forums?

Jude

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Jude7

Isn't the article great!

In the drift of educating guests about the 5 star rating system (get less and get a whupping!) I'm still in the very early observation phase of what effect the print version of the article hung nonchalantly on my bookcase in vicinity of the guest space will have...

And to your question about whether Airbnb admin has anybody reading this forum:

There seems to be somebody (Louise?) who looks at posts and makes sure there are no personal data included, but I seriously doubt any of the frequent pet peeves we hosts address ever climb up the post to the youngsters making the decisions.

@Andrea9

Having a print version of the Forbes article casually available for your guests to see!  How marvelous!  I was going to leave a note about reviews and my interpretation of the star system, but the Forbes article is so much more powerful and objective than a whining note from a host.  🙂  And I love that it came out just last week.  And from Forbes, no less.  Certainly a publication that has credibility. It's going in my binder, for sure!  Thanks Andrea!

Yes - Airbnb was started by youngsters, now that you mention it.  I work with lots of young people, and am in awe of the depth of what many of them bring to the table.  But perhaps the nuances of communication is not one of them.  

I would love to see a true forum between hosts, guests, and admins that is committed to working through concerns, and seeing what sort of changes need to be made. Because after all - we're all on the same team.  I am actually puzzzled that such a dialog doesn't exist.  Why not?  And what needs to occur for those avenues to be opened?

Thank you for that link! Oh my! The author said it all. 

The Forbes aricle is worth reading. I was concerned, as this article rightly points out, that many guests may not understand the rating system and how bad anything less than 5 stars can be perceived.

Below is a very brief overview of my strategy.  Point #5 is my way of dealing with this issue head on.  I come right out and suggest we delivered a 5-star experience and hope they agree. I then ask for constructive criticisms to be be sent privately.  Since I've already sent a series of professional and welcoming communications, this final request should not come as a surprise.  Simiarly, our guests may not know what we hosts expect of them in order to give them high star ratings, too. So points 1-4 are all about politely and professionally communicating my expectations of them so they can try to meet or exceed my expectations. If we don't tell folks what we expect, we can't know what what to get in return.  

I've been hosting since June 2018 and thankfully getting regular bookings. So far all 5 star reviews, so it looks like my system is working. Here's a quick summary of what I'm doing (in tip form):

1. Communicate Clearly and Immediately: The moment someone books, send them a note of thanks and ask them whatever questions you feel necessary (are they bringing pets? do they intend to have any non-guest visitors? Do they want the pool heated for $x per night? Have they read the house rules?).
  2. Pre-Stay Instructions: The night before they arrive, send instructions for how to get in the house or what to expect. What's the keycode to enter? Is the driveway easy to miss? Do you have a printed guest guide they need to read? Do you have a Nest thermostat and if so, include a line or two about how to use it. 
  3. Day One Greeting: Welcome them to the home and hope their first night was comfortable. Please read the guest guide (which contains your clean-up checklist expectations and other important info).
  4. Pre-Check Out Message: Thanks again for staying. Check-out time is X at which time the cleaning crew is scheduled to arrive. Top 4 things to remember: Clean put away dishes, start a load of dish and bath towels please and thank you, bag and take out all trash, check for belongings,  pick up dog waste (if applicable). etc. keep the list short and only focus on the things that matter to you. 
  5. Check-out Day: Thank them again. Let them know they'll receive a request to leave a review. Tell them you've done your best and hop you earned a 5-star rating. If there was anyting we could have done better, please let us know by using the private feedback area and we'll make improvements where needed.

Tell guests what you expect. If they come reasonably close, give them 5 stars. If they failed in an area you did not explicitely cover, review and refine your communication strategy and consider letting it go. 

if you did a great job and delivered on your promises, and especially if they never once raised any issue or complaint, tell them it "looks like we met or exceed your expectations and hope to have earned your 5 star review".  Good luck.

I am a little agitated by this. Why should the guests have to start a load of laundry...? Guests book Airbnbs to get a cheaper and more homey room than a generic hotel. As long as they respect your home and do not damage anything, they shouldn't be responsible for cleaning. That is what the cleaning fee is for. 

@Jude7

Great idea.

Works for me as opposed to currrent airbnb worldview:  

5 = Pass,  4 = Failing,   3 = Failed,   2 = Failed badly,   1 = Failed Completely.

Such negativity!

That's ridiculous. It's a guest. Did they not trash your place, paid their bill, and were not impolite? Then give them 5 stars,

😂 I'm a guest. 100percen of my comments say nice,  polite, quiet,  clean,  etc. I have give every host 5 stars and compliments since I never had real issues. I know hosts work hard and they can't catch everything. 

I realized that I have a rating yesterday of 4.7.

I literally go in the house,  don't smoke,  don't drink,  no TV,  no noise. 

I sleep,  wake up and go to work. 

So,  not sure what I'm doing to have a 4.7.

But... 

It has made me think that someone can be having a bad day and rate you unfairly although their comments say how great you are. 

For that... I just won't be using airbnb soon. 

Like Fe7 said below,  how does a guest impress someone? Am I supposed to serve the host meals and wash their car then go grocery shopping for them?

Sorry hosts.... But people will just go back to using hotels which didn't affect people this way. 

While 4.7 isn't horrible I feel that I'd rather spend my money elsewhere instead of trying to be the perfect guest but have it be impossible to a rating system that almost sets you up to be rated poorly because you didn't exceed. 

Won't be using airbnb for much longer