Can guests see their star ratings?

Answered!
Jude7
Level 10
Rhinebeck, NY

Can guests see their star ratings?

I'd  like to leave honest feedback regarding a guest.  I realize the text of a review follows a guest, but how about their star rating?

Do guests see the stars given to them, in addition to the review?  Who else sees the star ratings of a guest? If I give the guest less than perfect stars, will the guest know that the star rating came from me?  How will the guest be impacted if I give less than 5 stars?

How about the thumbs up or down - who sees that and will it be traced back to me?

Thanks!

Jude

1 Best Answer
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Bhumika_0-1699047984033.png

Thanks

-----

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

View Best Answer in original post

72 Replies 72

@Hanna1999 
your review says:
"Hanna doesn't follow the house rules & didn't checkout easily"

It's actually not that bad. I'm curious why you didn't leave a review for the host? That doesn't look good for you either i'm afraid.

you haven't mentioned the obvious part: it's very clear in the app what dates your reservation is for, so how did you think you had the Friday night booked?  On check out day you will receive messages from ABB and presumably the host too, did you have a legitimate booking, or not?  

Even if another host were to open a dialogue with you, what is your excuse? you thought you had a reservation for another night? So, you don't read? yikes, this is one of most hosts' biggest gripes: that guests don't read the listing. I recommend you say you were a complete newbie and just stuffed up, instead of anything happy clappy about wanting hosts to "just be nice" and bend to your world (warning: this sounds like Entitled Millenial language). 

You not knowing how things work is understandable, but also this suggests you aren't going to read the house rules, or pay much attention to any host special instructions. If I have an ABB newbie I will often add a few extra lines into my messaging just to help them navigate the process. 

You can come back from this but you'll have to book somewhere that is more generic, to get your next 5* review to offset this first one.  

You have a great point here! It’s a big risk to hosts if guests book their place without reading the house rules and even the messages from hosts. I wouldn’t want to host them because they might do something crazy in my home if they don’t read/care about my house rules. 

Hi @Hanna1999 

Most of booking info and communication is done though the app and confirmation emails. So it looks like there would be room for improvement on all sides, guest, host and Airbnb to try and minimize any minunderstandings like this. 

I've only had one guest think they had an extra night. They were also first time guest and on their honeymoon. They did answer when I phoned and were so nice and cute, the wife apologized. I suggested they contact Airbnb as they could be accommodating. But think they already did, as they rushed back to be out within an hour of check out as host can charge for an extra night after that. 

From your post it seems you like to call people and not read anything or message, as you didn't mention messages at all, although a lot of guest may try to respond to a text message notification and get the error message you have to sign in. I did that several times when I first started hosting. 

Moving forward you can send future host an inquiry first and explain it was an honest mistake you thought you had booked an extra night. 

As far as stuffing all your things into trash bags and being rude that is unnecessary. I think you simply didn't understand how to navigate the platform as you also didn't leave a review, and demonstrates you also aren't the vindictive petty type, and this wasn't something intentional. 

Most host also send a message the day before check out, include check in and out times and dates in the first message, and have check out info posted on a stand in the rental unit. 

As mentioned send an inquiry, say you have fully read the listing description, assure them you will continue to be clean and respectful, etc. You can also resend to reviews within a time frame. 

Jillian and John thank you so much for your feedback. Having read your comments have given me so much insight into what happened in the past and what I could do differently in the future. There is always something good that come out of our not so pleasant experiences & so I take what seems a negative one with a grain of salt...

Gillian, thank you for sharing what the host review said about me. I believe that we all learn from each other's experience in sharing & I've learned a lot from what you wrote, thank you. Nonetheless, I felt like some of what you said came out as a little bit assuming of my character without really knowing much about what really happened. Still the constructive things you said made me rethink about the event & so I'll try to shade a little bit light...

John, thank you so much for your comments which actually caused me to check back that particular booking and reread the message string we had then with the host. I was having some challenge with the booking and had contacted the host. I told him that I wanted to book three nights from Nov 4th to Nov 6th, but Airbnb was showing me that the 4th wasn't available but the 5th&6th were. The host gave me a phone number to call directly & that they would help me book the 4th directly & I could book the other 2 nights. I honestly don't recall if I had called him, but he had asked me to try once more. So I closed all browsers & relogged into Airbnb & tried to book again. This time it worked & I booked supposedly for 3 nights. I admit that I didn't read the detail to note my check out date was on the 6th, not the 7th as I wanted. This I noticed after the fact... I heavily relied on my conversations with the host, which was assuming of me. My fault for sure.

Looking back at the message exchange string, there wasn't any reminder that my check out was that morning on Friday. Nevertheless, that is still on me. And so I went very far from the place I was staying at (I believe I left before 8 am). I was out in a bike tour deep into the woods & coastal beach areas that I missed the host's repeated phone calls. By the time I looked at my phone during one of our quick rest, it was well after 1 pm (well past the check out time). The rest is as I told you. Granted I'm at fault for missing the check out date/time, but there was NO issue at all until the moment I failed to check out on time as I should. But I do not think it's fair to paint me as "a guest rule breaker" to affect my future with prospective Airbnb hosts. Our conversation could have gone differently after I answered the phone, but the host was really angry for obvious reason.

The morning of my trip, my home of origin went into full fledged war with a northern region of the country (northern Ethiopia), which later was realized as Tigray Genocide, which is still continuing day 604 & counting. Initially I thought it would blow away by the time I got back & things would be normal. But normal has yet to come... What happened with my Airbnb experience was not big on my mind at that time that I didn't rate the host. But had I known about the review, I would have at least responded. Where do guests go to view their rating by hosts?

@John5097 prior to reading your comment, I tried to disclose my situation with a short explanation with my booking request when trying to book for Airbnb lodging for my upcoming trip to Canada in few weeks, but got rejected the same night I learned about the negative review that got me denied my attempt to book for one night stay for tonight actually. But I was fortunate to find a great couple hosts who took a chance on me & they have been wonderful every step of the way. Thank you for your insightful & helpful feed back. While what happened is unfortunate, I won't let that deter me from trying to enjoy Airbnb experience, coz it feels like home as opposed to a hotel room. Thank you both & wish you the best with your hosting. 

R/

Hanna

@Hanna1999 

Thanks for the update and for sharing some of your life experiences as its really interesting to learn from all the guest and host from around the world. Guest or host don't have to leave a review, it doesn't make you look bad at all, IMO. 

From a host point of view it can be stressful if guest check out late as it needs to be cleaned for the next guest, but if host don't make the dates clear in their messages, send any kind of reminder, or have a note posted, they should expect a few guest to get their dates mixed up. Its not unusual for guest to book the wrong nights.

I'm so glad you were able to find another host that is being so helpful. That's what really makes it work, and very rewarding for host and guest.

You could also try reaching out to the last host again and asking them if they would consider contacting Airbnb and having their review removed. You could just say it was an honest mistake and they could set up an automated message to be sent the day before check out reminding guest of their check out time and instructions. I wouldn't even expect them to respond but might be worth a try.

You could even try contacting CS. They usually don't remove reviews and this one doesn't seem to violate their review guidelines, except checking out late may not be considered breaking house rules. Also its against Airbnb policy for host to have guest book off platform and all communication is supposed to be on the ABB messages. Its mostly to protect guest from being scammed. So if the host asked you to contact them off platform and have that in the message thread you could report that and that they tried to get you to book off platform which caused the confusion. 

A host with 11 listings shouldn't be doing any of that and should have a check out message sent the day before check out. It sounds like they don't do that because they are getting guest to book off platform which is causing confusion. 

Good luck and so glad you are having a great experience with you new host! 

Thank you John for your kind words and sharing as well. This truly has been a great learning experience. I will know better on what I should and should not do going forward. I did have a great experience last week at the place I stayed. I wish it was a bit longer tho... Looking at the back and forth conversation I had with the host, it sure was an innocent misunderstanding. I did reach out to the host before I saw your comment, but I am not sure if they see new messages on the old message string. The below was part of the conversation that went on. But it will be find. Some hosts will turn me down and some will take a chance on me like the couple did last week... so I will need to take it as it comes and go from there. I am not sharing a bit about the negative review when requesting booking so they know a bit of my side and still some will turn me down, which is alright... by the way, I just saw the reviews I wrote under my profile and I did say something about it, but I did not go into great detail. Had I seen the host's comment, I probably would have shared some of the conversation string so people could see it. We really had a great communication going back and forth until my last night (as the 5th of Nov was my born day and they had given me great info about where to eat and go...). They did not send me a reminder when my check out was... clear & timely communication does make a huge difference. My hosts (a couple) last week were so in communicating - they send me a reminder of my upcoming trip, they checked on me the day of, and then had reminder of my check out. I had a great conversation esp with the wife and I am so glad they took a chance on me. Though I stayed one night, I learned some great things on health practices that I would not have otherwise, had I not met this wonderful couple. It is all good. Thanks again for sharing with me. I am sure there will be tons of learning always so long as we have a breath with in us. I am trying to book a two week stay in Canada for my upcoming trip in August and I hope that I will find someone who would take a chance on me :)! Thanks again and wish you the best in being a host! 

Pacific12:45 PM
For November 04, 2020 - you can contact us direct to make a separate reservation.
For november forth

Hanna12:50 PM
I'm not understanding tho why I'm not able to reserve for all 3 nights, Nov 4th to 6th at the same time. Last time I used Airbnb, the host was able to add available dates to my reservation. Since I've not made the reservation yet, I thought it would be easier to do it.
Jenna346
Level 2
United States

LoL. Could you imagine if hotels, restaurants, retail stores, and sales people started rating the guests? That's ridiculous. This shows the difference between the hospitality industry and airbnb. In hotels, they provide hospitality. You are the guest, its an honor to serve you, and even when we all know that the guest is a complete douche bag, we show that we value you as a person and we appreciate the opportunity to serve you. Airbnb is a place to stay.  Hosts aren't expected to provide hospitality. 

Richard531
Level 10
California, United States

@Jenna346  Yes, I could imagine it.  The world would be a much better place if guests/restaurant customers were also rated.  

There is no question that I, personally, am a better guest when I stay in Airbnbs because I know I'll be rated.  And that likely holds true for most other people too.  It's called being held accountable.  And being held accountable is a great thing for society.  

And as much as we hosts love serving and hosting, it's not exactly "an honor."  It's a privilege on both sides.  And said "honor" certainly dissipates when the guest is awful.  And if a guest is awful, they should be told about it.  Publicly.  And it should have a negative downstream affect on that bad person so they are less likely to be awful to others going forward.  

I disagree. I live in my house with my guests and respect is a two way street. I go above and beyond in hospitality but I will not tolerate disrespect. 

You place sounds like it would be **, as your response is

** content updated : please  be respectful

@Jude7 

Yes, they can see it and it's posted on their public profile.

@Michael6934  you can see on the guest profile the star ratings of the guest that you had but I can not see in the public profile  the individual star rating that each host gives to the guest

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Bhumika_0-1699047984033.png

Thanks

-----

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines