Can guests see their star ratings?

Answered!
Jude7
Level 10
Rhinebeck, NY

Can guests see their star ratings?

I'd  like to leave honest feedback regarding a guest.  I realize the text of a review follows a guest, but how about their star rating?

Do guests see the stars given to them, in addition to the review?  Who else sees the star ratings of a guest? If I give the guest less than perfect stars, will the guest know that the star rating came from me?  How will the guest be impacted if I give less than 5 stars?

How about the thumbs up or down - who sees that and will it be traced back to me?

Thanks!

Jude

1 Best Answer
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Bhumika_0-1699047984033.png

Thanks

-----

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

View Best Answer in original post

72 Replies 72
Kip0
Level 9
Virginia Beach, VA

Jude - in response to your original post I provide private feedback to any guest if I rate them less than 5 stars in a category.  I always do it in a way that expresses benefit of the doubt especially since (knock on wood) the negative thing someone has done is usually outweighed by the positives.  

The most common issue I've had is people not cleaning their dishes or pots and pans.  Depending on severity of how they left kitchen is how I handle cleanliness rating.  For an example, I rated one guest 3 stars on cleanliness (5 stars on communication and overall) and provided them feedback that was something like,

"We enjoyed hosting you overall as you communicated well, left a fun thank you note, and generally the house was in good shape.  However I have to tell you that the way you left the kitchen wasn't acceptable because you left dirty dishes in sink, appliances splattered with grease, and our waffle maker caked in batter - it took us an extra hour than normal to clean up after you.  I want to make sure you know for the future if you didn't know already that the vast majority of hosts would expect you to clean up the kitchen after yourself.  This doesn't change that otherwise you were a great guest but I wanted to let you know why I had to give you a lower cleanliness rating than is normal."

Russell49
Level 10
Katoomba, Australia

That is kinder than how I would respond. lol

Lisa7
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

We CAN NOW!!!

Super interesting. Good for hosts!! But I really want to see mine now LOL

Screen Shot 2018-03-15 at 6.46.29 PM.jpg

May I ask where you found this?

thanks!

Yes I would like to know too. We have just had a very nice couple stay, but they had very long showers (we request people not to do this both on our listing & in a folder on the bedside cabinet) & one of them did something straight out odd. I'm going to think hard about my review as I did like them. I would love to see their star rating - see if there would have been a warning there.

Lisa in London! Where are these guests ratings found that you screen shotted? I can’t find them!?!?

@Stacey115 you can see a guest's star ratings if you have Instant Book enabled and if they've booked with you (or are trying to book with you).  You just click on their profile. 

Kira32
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

Do you know if guests can see individual star ratings from every single hosts?

Rob285
Level 2
Franklin, TN

Most of my reviews are very positive, but then i have a few that leave a remark like the host in Venice who left ‘Terrible’ as my public review. That is just unprofessional. He was upset that I complained about the Wi-Fi and asked if he could reboot the router. He actually told me upon check-in that the internet was often slow or weak because the router was in another apartment and he was using an extender. He failed to mention that I pulled my bed sheets & towels, and folded blankets leaving the room cleaner than I found it.

Joan241
Level 2
Olney, MD

I just had a checkout that was from Honduras.   They left the house a mess and didn't clean up after themselves.   They probably used every dish and pot in the home and didn't even start the diswasher or clean the grease from the stove.  

They didn't follow the house rules and had difficulty communicating because they were English impared.   It wasn't until I tried to order them guest passes for the pool that I found out that the name that they registered under Airbnb wasn't even a name.  It was the name of some company the guy worked for.   I thought Airbnb was supposed to verify and check these things?

When I tried to complain to Airbnb about the name of the guest not being a "real" name - all they did was try to call me and leave me messages about how they were dedicated to keeping us hosts happy.    BUT, they never corrected the problem and never cared that the guy is registered under a fake alias.

Have things gotten worse with Airbnb, or is it my imagination?   

I wonder what VRBO and the others do to protect hosts, their property and their investment.   Anyone know?

Kathleen277
Level 3
Massachusetts, United States

I dont believe that Airbnb really does any kind of verification other than checking to see if the name is a real person somewhere somehow!!

Hmm, interesting conversation. I have had only flying colours reviews so far, but ead just given a "guest not recommended" by an outfit in Prague when I had to escalate to Airbnb customer service sitting on the plane to Prague and not knowing where we're going to sleep. We tried to get in touch with the host for TWO days in FOUR different ways to no avail! Airbnb customer service acted swiftly and had them respond. But when we picked up the key at their office a young arrogant employee there did not have the decency to apologize.t 

Yet, we liked  the accomodatio and in terms of stars awarded the highest ratings except communication. Yet with all that Airbnb who knew there was an objective problem with the host allowed them to give us a scathing review. We left the apartment on time, in perfect order. So as other guests have noted on this thread there is a problem with Airbnb in general, sort of a communistic attitude where the guest is almost subordinate to the service provider. 

My conclusion: rather than be part of another communistic system then I'd rather bow out of Airbnb. 

Thank you for your postings everyone here, they managed to put things in the correct perspective. I'll contact customer service once more to see if they can right this. If not, then I will go with booking.com and 3 star hotels as luckily I do not need to economize so much as to be a serf to a service provider.

There is a way you can see guests’ reviews when receiving a reservation request.

On the top right corner of your Airbnb App, there is a link for “DETAILS”. If you click then scroll down and then there is another link for the reviews from other hosts (obviously if the guests is new to the Platform they will not have a review. You can click there and it will give you access to read other hosts’ comments. 

2BA14B06-C848-4A11-9130-897F1C2A0ACE.jpeg

B5882D10-CDC2-42B4-A5A2-84ACC9DF8761.jpeg

The rating is presented as an average score, so technically you can’t see the exact stars rating given by a particular host. However, you can “guess estimate”  based on the wording of the review.

Although past reviews can be helpful, on the other side they can be misleading too... the fact that someone had a bad behavior in the past doesn’t mean it will happen again. We have had guests with “a poor 3 stars” avg rating that behaved super well and were very respectful of our space. On the other side, several “5 stars guests” stayed as well and destroyed our space...

IMO communication is very important. You should communicate expectations upfront in a cool and respectful way. Also, if you found an issue, you must communicate openly and involve Airbnb if needed so they are aware of the issue. 

Jessica165
Level 2
Vista, CA

Just in case someone else hasn’t said it: 

YES- guests can see the star rating you give them in each category. Just like we can now see how guests rate us in each category.

I assumed otherwise thinking it was a sort of review system for Airbnb to rate guests over time in their system & as knowledge if complaints are made some time in the future by a host....

Example: Guests weren’t slobs but were pretty dang close so I gave a cleanliness rating of 3 out of 5 (feeling that since 5 is perfect = when you walk in & think “was anyone even here?”)...guests contacted me & asked why they only got a 3 star rating in that category.

So while those stars are shown host listing & not on guests profiles it appears they are shown to the guest.