Can we cancel a reservation without penalty if a future guest does not respond to messages?

Leigh432
Level 2
San Diego, CA

Can we cancel a reservation without penalty if a future guest does not respond to messages?

5 Replies 5

Yes. You have to call Airbnb and let them know. Ask them to help you cancel.

But before you do - not everyone is comfortable with apps. Some people take time to reply. When I'm traveling, I'm not always available to respond to questions right away.

Do they have good reviews from previous stays?

Did they introduce themselves when they booked?
Are they first timers?

Are the questions you asked them critical?

I don't feel as if we have all the information on your situation to give an accurate answer.

Yes - you can cancel. But make sure your assumptions of the circumstances are correct.

Thank you for your response.  I felt a sense of urgency because I fear bigger penalties if I wait longer to cancel.  

This person has 2 reviews, one older one was very bad.   I am told they have stayed more then 3 times, but only 2 reviews.  The most recent review was 5 stars but the guest's name was not in that review, someone else's.   I am a bit concerned but a conversation would help me feel better.  No message to me when they booked.   I'll give them a day or so, and then I'll try airBNB.

I had the button checked that only allows established guests with a good track record to book but they let this person in because the bad review was several years old. (5 yrs).

@Leigh432 

I  don't  know the   criteria  but I   think    there is  availability to  cancel   an  Instabook  that  makes you uncomfortable..

@Leigh432 This sounds like a guest that I would have declined. You should actually require that guests include some kind of message when booking. You can ask that they respond to several questions, and therefore get a feel for their communication, and find out a little bit about who they are. If they fail to respond, that can help establish a problem, and ultimately help you if you need to cancel. 

Contrary to what another respondent suggested, do NOT text these people. Keep all communication on the AirBnB platform. If they fail to respond, that will make it easier for your cancellation. 

I think you'd be better off if these guests don't come to stay. No matter how long ago that bad rating was, it doesn't guarantee that their behavior has changed. The 5 star rating on their profile was likely a group trip, so somebody else booked it and was responsible for their behavior. 

Good luck. 

Marie8425
Level 10
Buckeye, AZ

@Leigh432 

You  have  to show you have made full  effort guests  are not on the app everyday

Keep  all the communication on the app   just inn  case.  So If not responding   I will text the number provided   I   am  your  Airbnb Host  Please respond to  communications to you on the  Airbnb  Platform that I sent you regarding your reservation..

That has always worked for  me, if it  doesn't  I would try a second time to  be polite.

If  no  reply   the second time then you  have to  contact Support to try and call the Guest.

If Support is unable  to   contact   Guest then   canceling will   be why?   You  can  not cancel because you think rude,  but if your listing  disclosed something had to be confirmed  prior to check in and  no response then you  have a  chance,