Can you change a recommendation for a guest?

Sammy-L-0
Level 10
Whitesburg, KY

Can you change a recommendation for a guest?

We had a guest check out yesterday who left our place in great shape, including making the bed when we just have to strip it and put everything on clean. He never complained about anything, followed the rules, everything seemed great.We gave him five stars and said we would gladly host again.

Then we got his review. Very nice, nothing wrong, every positive item checked, but 4 stars in every single category, and overall!

What the hell?

I'd like to warn other hosts, but I apparently can't. Is there anyway to block him from booking us again and warn other hosts that this guest apparently doesn't believe in 5-star reviews?

Sam
The Historic Mountain View
17 Replies 17
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sammy-L-0 Once the review is  published it can not be changed. If you feel very strongly you could ask for your review of the guest to be removed but this feels a bit petty to be honest.

I feel a bit petty asking, really, but we live and die by those stars. I thought other hosts should know  that their efforts might be wasted on this guest.

Sam

@Sammy-L-0 It's not petty.  I had the same thing happen in the fall.  The guest was lovely, we even ran into  her in the yard and had a nice conversation.  4 stars.  I sent a similar message and never got a response.

Since I didn't want to encourage hosts to rent to her and get similarly slammed with 4 stars I asked Airbnb to remove my review of her.   You don't have to give a reason, just message them and say you want to remove the review, then at least you are not contributing to other hosts unknowingly renting to someone who gives 4 stars.

It’s not petty. You’re trying to process a difficult situation.

As far as warning future hosts, I think that ship has sailed. 

I think your polite message to them was perfect. Even if they don’t respond, it may have made them realize what they have done, and, hopefully, they won’t do it to a future host. 

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

It does seem petty to block a guest who left your place in great shape, followed the rules, and never complained. This is exactly the type of guest I want—bar none! Just because he didn’t give you 5 stars doesn’t necessarily mean he hasn’t given 5 stars at other STRs. It’s possible that a 5-star rental he previously stayed at was superior to yours and that’s what he based his rating on. 

He had no previous reviews.

Sam

@Gwen386 and that is the problem Gwen because we get down to comparing apples and pears.It is not about comparing with other properties it is about being" as advertised ", plus clean ,having the necessary provisions and being where it said it was ,having the right amount of beds etcetera ,it is not now nor ever has it been about comparison outside the paradigm, this may be a thing but that is not ,now nor should it be the basis for a review.... H

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Rather than trying to block a great guest from booking again why not use the fact he gave you four stars across the board - a great review for most platforms  - as a learning experience. @Sammy-L-0 

Does this guest have a track record of leaving four star or lower reviews. Did you ask the guest for feedback on the score (politely and professionally). Do you explain the Airbnb rating system in your visitor guide?

I agree with others it sounds petty to remove your review/block them because you don't like their review.

Yes, I did send a message asking what we could do I differently, and yes, it was polite.

"Hi ___l, thank you for the review of our listing. We are always striving to improve, and whenever we get a less-than-5-star review I like to contact the guest to see if there was anything we could have done to improve on their stay. I noticed you gave us 4 out of 5 stars so I am hoping you might be able to share what areas we could do better with."

With Super host status depending on 5-star reviews, it is worrisome to get 4 stars for a stay for which everything seemed fine with the guest. I suppose it does sound petty, but I'm really at a loss for why someone would take off stars for a problem-free stay.

Sam

@Sammy-L-O Now Sammy we all know the review sytem is designed to take pot shots at hosts . Randomly. Guests are not Airbnb food  critics    or trained book critics or even toilet paper crtics but they will notice when it is missing,......Ask the guest if they would be able to remove the review if they were completely happy with the stay . ... That is what you believe they said Yes?... H

That's what I believe they said, but who knows? I'm just going to drop it and accept that we now have a 4.89 rating despite our best efforts to make sure guests get the best stay possible.

Sam
Susan990
Level 10
Redmond, OR

Suggestion. Never ever leave a review for any guest-no matter if they make the bed or not.  Do not give away your power. Do not review.  this leaves all the burden on the guest to review you-- then you can, upon thought leave one for them.  While you do not know their review, you have the power that they acted first, and can leave anything you want.  JUst the thought that they, by reviewing you, have then prompted a review response will give them pause.  A big pause.  Never review.

They have nothing to gain and much to loose that you review them back... it is like poker.  Keep your poker face.  Most times they will fold without making a move.  Just saying.////

Susan

@Susan990 susan you do know that you cannot see the guests review until yours is also posted? Then if after fourteen days  you have not reviewed the guest at all then their review of you will be posted after that you can no longer review the guest as such just post a reply... H

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Sammy-L-0 

I can see why you'd be disappointed to get a four star review when everything was so positive - did you get any reply to the message that you sent?

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines