Canceling on guest for no communication

Answered!
Aja
Level 10
Palm Springs, CA

Canceling on guest for no communication

Hi all,

Fairly new host here. I host in Palm Springs, which has some pretty strict rules that I have all of my potential guests agree to.

However, I accidentally accepted a reservation before asking the guest to confirm, and since them I've sent him 3 messages on the platform over the last 3 weeks asking him for more information about his stay and to agree to the rules.

If it were any other market that didn't have these specific rules, I wouldn't be worried but since Palm Springs has the potential to revoke my license, I need to know that my guests will be respectful and communicative. 

In my last message, I said that if I didn't hear back from him in the next 48 hours that I would cancel. I also texted him on the number provided. I know that Airbnb will block my calendar if I cancel this reservation and penalize me, but if I call them and explain, is there a chance they'd leave the dates open and NOT penalize me? 

The weird thing is that the guest appears to be a host as well, so it seems strange that he isn't communicative. 

Thanks all,

Aja

1 Best Answer
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Aja 

I would call Airbnb. I've had quite a few occasions in the past where the guest was totally non responsive. Funnily enough, (apart from two exceptions) as soon as Airbnb tried to contact them, they responded straight away! 

I don't know if they will cancel for you penalty free as it was a request, rather than instant, booking but it's worth asking given that you are bound by local laws. Also, do you state on your listing/in your house rules that guests must agree to those local rules before booking? If not, it is worth putting in, because that gives you more leeway with customer services if this happens again.

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Aja
Level 10
Palm Springs, CA

Also, I know my avatar says Airbnb Staff, but I'm no longer an employee (worked there from 2014 - 2020)! 🙂 

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

You can ask @Aja but I don't know what they'll say.  Sometimes you get someone who goes to bat for you and sometimes you don't.  In your shoes, I would cancel when I said I would, to maintain control of your listing.  And regarding the "Also a host" thing - I think it's a glitch.  I've had many guests in the last couple of years with that line on their profiles, and I know that they've never hosted.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I think @Ann72 is correct about that. It's a glitch. I've seen lots of guests profiles that say 'also a host' and they are not hosts at all.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Aja !!! Nice to see you again and that you're joining in on the Community Center (I've chased off the old admin mark but you can keep your honorary numberless username!)

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Aja
Level 10
Palm Springs, CA

Hi hi @Stephanie!! I was hoping one of you would respond :)) So glad to see you on here and thanks for letting me keep my name! Hope you're doing well, if you're ever in Palm Springs let me know! This is my listing! airbnb.com/h/pickleball-haus 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Aja 

I would call Airbnb. I've had quite a few occasions in the past where the guest was totally non responsive. Funnily enough, (apart from two exceptions) as soon as Airbnb tried to contact them, they responded straight away! 

I don't know if they will cancel for you penalty free as it was a request, rather than instant, booking but it's worth asking given that you are bound by local laws. Also, do you state on your listing/in your house rules that guests must agree to those local rules before booking? If not, it is worth putting in, because that gives you more leeway with customer services if this happens again.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Have you tried messaging the guest on his phone . Many guests don't have their profiles set up to alert them to messages on Airbnb so the guest probably has no idea you're trying to contact him. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Helen3 

@Aja said she already tried texting his number. Sometimes guest have an old number on their profile but it sounds like this guest is just ignoring his messages. 

@Aja if you use WhatsApp, you could try messaging his number on that. If he is a user and reads your message, normally you can see if it's been read or not. This once prompted one of my guests to respond after she had been totally ignoring my airbnb messages and texts to her phone.