Cancellation policy fail by Airbnb

Cancellation policy fail by Airbnb

Airbnb cancelled a 33 days booking which has been held for several months 1week before check as the guest stopped payment at the bank. We have a strict cancellation policy and tried to work with the guest and explained to them they we could not cancel the booking as the likely hood of us getting another 33 day booking with a week to go was impossible. We were within our cancellation policy and the guest was due to complete the booking. Airbnb cancelled the booking and have advised we have no compensation and bad luck. This is totally unacceptable as a superhost who has never cancelled a booking. This booking was over 10% of our annual income and for Airbnb to say they will not compensate I am considering removing my listing., I am so disappointed and horrified at the lack of support so a superhost. Has anyone had compensation from airbnb for a similar situation and any recommendations to escalate this?

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Rachel2932 Airbnb has two basic roles- Advertising and collecting money. Sadly its contract makes it clear that if they fail on the latter it is the hosts problem!

It seems to be a loop hole if the guests are not honest and do not want to adhere by the cancellation policy they agreed to when booking.

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Rachel2932  This doesn't make a lot of sense. You said it was held for several months. The guest would not have been able to book without making some sort of payment, so somebody got some money. Are you saying that AirBnB refunded in full any payment the guest made? That doesn't sound like something AirBnB would do, as they always like to keep their fees. 

I did ask that question thinking at the very least we would receive the deposit however the guest stopped their payment to Airbnb with the bank and support have advised me that they did not receive funds which I find hard to believe and therefore would not be providing any funds to us as the host. So in this instance Airbnb have not looked after a superhost after they advised the booking as confirmed. It is very disappointing. 

@Rachel2932  Yeah, something doesn't sound right. If they did indeed stop the payment, AirBnB would have known for months now, and the booking should have been canceled long ago. Really sorry this happened. 

Truth be told, being a Superhost doesn't mean much to AirBnB when it comes to customer service. Service is bad all around, and to them, you're just another.......host. 

I am beginning to understand that, they keep closing the support call on me now as well. Overnight we received another booking in place of the one we lost so good karma has come our way in the end. Thank for your message.