Card being charged for a reservation I didn't book.

Answered!
Carlos5460
Level 2
Riverview, FL

Card being charged for a reservation I didn't book.

my card was used by another person we don’t know. They booked a reservation in Albany NY under the name ** as we can see from the credit card receipt. This is an unauthorized use and charge and Airbnb claims it was a family member or friend that used the card . We don’t know this person . How do we cancel and get a refund for the booking we didn’t make?

**[Sensitive information removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

1 Best Answer
Carlos5460
Level 2
Riverview, FL

The best answer is: file a police report in your local  law enforcement regarding the fraud. File an FTC complaint against AirBNB. File an FBI report for fraud if this fraud happened across state lines in the US. File a fraud report with the credit card. Don't let the bank agent tell you it's a disputed charge. It's fraud! Open a  case with Airbnb, you may have to chat on line, email or talk on the phone with 10 support agents. They are stubborn, they send you a scripted response that a family member or friend used your card. They won't share any information regarding the booking. I managed to find those details on the Credit card charge receipt from the bank. I saw the booking code, the name of the person who made the charge and the AIRbnb property posting. You can reach the host of the property from there. I did contact law enforcement from the town the property was located and filed a police report there too. The local Law enforcement will ask for evident which  you should be able to provide using the complaints filed. Since this case is still open, the officers plan to visit the fraudster at the airbnb property. I hope that person gets arrested. I will press charges. As for Airbnb, after 15 contact points and providing evident. I found Airbnbs response to the matter very very disappointing. Make's me want to consider using VRBO in the future. Have it not being for me having 5 open reservations right now, I would have canceled my account and never look at Airbnb again.

https://reportfraud.ftc.gov

https://complaint.ic3.gov/#

View Best Answer in original post

20 Replies 20

I finally got a reply from Airbnb that a refund will be issued. 

This same situation is happening to me but Airbnb won’t tell me where the booking was made or who the pets was that stayed at a property using my card. Zero information that I have requested 3 times. How did you get them to release the information? They keep sending the scripted email. 

@Kimberly1149 don't waste your time with Airbnb. Just ask your bank for a chargeback and report the use of your card as fraud.

The bank can change the card but Airbnb has an agreement in place to be able to charge the new card any fees that are due . Cancellation of the card in this case does nothing to stop the fraud charges 

the bank will cancel your card and mark the transaction as fraud. A temporary credit will be issued and the investigation the bank will perform will be mostly to consult with Airbnb and their reply to the bank will be the same scripted response you've received  before. The bank will reverse the temporary credit and  Airbnb will charge the new card with any additional charges made on the reservation. 

Airbnb won;t 't release any information to you. Check your credit card charges, there is a way to get a detail account of the charge. It will include the name of the person making the charge, an address if available and the booking code as well as the url for the property rented.  You can use that information to file reports with local law enforcement , the FBI and FTC. Use those reports as part of your complaint to Airbnb and the bank issuing your credit card.