Check-in time different for last minute bookings

Maggie404
Level 1
Burbank, CA

Check-in time different for last minute bookings

Has anyone else heard of this? This is a message directly from Airbnb and this rule does not make any sense. I narrowly avoided a sticky situation today and called Airbnb only to be told that anyone who books less than 48 hours in advance can basically check in anytime. The can choose their check-in time when booking. My check-in time is 3 pm and check-out is 11 am. If the guest chooses to check-in at 10 am how can that even work. Below is what Airbnb wrote to me. 

Just a recap if the call, the check-in and checkout settings allow a Host to set a window that they are able to check in a guest. Host can select a flexible check-in time to be agreed between Host and guest, or make it specific: i.e. only between 3pm and 8pm. Checkouts will default to 12pm, but can be adjusted to any time of the day.

However, there are some exception:
-If a guest is booking a reservation with less than 48 hours to check in
-Guests can select a check-in time outside the Host’s check-in window
-If the listing is Instant Book, the Host will receive a Request to Book reservation

Please explain to me how that would work? This is something that Airbnb needs to fix.

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Maggie404 lets hope this is an example of Airbnb's support team being wrong! That said I have seen requests with strange check in times so you do need t be careful responding to them.

Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

I don't see the issue?

Instant booking host here, so just decline the reservation request if you can't accommodate the check-in time imo.

Karen114
Level 10
Bolton, MA

@Maggie404  Yes, this is a thing that the majority of hosts are unaware of.  Apparently it requires the host to scrutinize the request and the request for early check in is not readily visible.  If you weren't epxecting this, you won't be looking for it.  This is one of many good reasons not to accept bookings under 48 hours.  

I suppose the assumption on Air's part is that if you are not booked 48 hours before arrival, the unit must be ready and waiting for guest to arrive whenever.

This obviously is a problem if you have a current guest and new guest is coming before the prior one checks out.  I would think that the programming on Airbnb's part would not let a new guest request to check in before the prior guest has left.

It needs to change or at the very least a PSA going out to hosts that accept bookings under 48 hours  that you may receive request for early check in and be cognizant of that before accepting the booking. 

Karen