Cleaners requests on a midweek clean.

Richard1435
Level 2
Worthing, United Kingdom

Cleaners requests on a midweek clean.

Hi there, I have a current guess in that are staying for 20 days. As part of the deal i’ve offered a mid stay, mid clean turnaround. With change of linen. The cleaning company as a safeguarding it situation, I’ve asked me to ask the guest to lovk their valuables away and ensure that the flat is tidy. I’m in two minds whether to express this to the guest? This company is very reputable and reliable, but they said the bad situations would’ve gone into holiday lets and valuables have been left out. And somebody has accused him of taking something of value? Which ended up not being the case?  Is it almost like we or assuming that Cleaner in the Cleaning world can be thieves? Am I reading too much into this? My thinking is my guest would have the common sense, not have valuables left out anyway and to secure them anyway? Valuables like iPhones jewellery and iPads would be away in the suitcases anyway? Has anybody had this request before? It’s thrown my a little. Thanks Dicky 

1 Reply 1

Hi Dicky,

I can see why you'd feel a bit conflicted about this situation. While it's completely reasonable to want to ensure both the safety of your guest's belongings and the cleaning company's reputation, you also don't want to imply any mistrust, which could make the guest feel uncomfortable.

Here are a few ways to approach it:

1. Frame it as a General Safety Practice: You could present this request as a standard practice for any stay, particularly long-term ones. Mention that for their peace of mind, it’s always a good idea to secure any valuables in a safe or locked suitcase during mid-stay cleans, just as they would when they leave the property for the day.

2. Reassure the Guest About the Cleaning Company: Highlight the reliability and reputation of the cleaning company. Let them know that this is a safeguarding measure they've suggested after experiences in the industry. By emphasizing it's a precautionary, standard process rather than a personal concern about the guest's property, it softens the implication of distrust.

For example, you could say:

"As part of our mid-stay service, we’ve arranged for a thorough clean and linen change to make your stay more comfortable. For everyone's peace of mind, we kindly ask that any valuables, like phones or jewelry, be secured and that the space is left tidy to help the cleaners work efficiently. The cleaning team is highly professional, and this is just a standard recommendation we follow for all our guests."

This way, you’ve set expectations without suggesting mistrust, and it’s framed more as a thoughtful heads-up.

Hope this helps.

All the best,

Upfish Management