Complain about "bait and switch" property

Answered!
Fiona904
Level 2
Bonnyrigg, United Kingdom

Complain about "bait and switch" property

Hubby and I were in London to move my daughter back to Scotland. We booked an Airbnb close by so we could set off early the following day. An hour before check in (3pm), I received a Whatsapp saying that there was a "maintenance issue" and we would to be upgraded to a different property, and was then sent details on check in (key safe at property, then a key safe outside room). IAfter a long day, we arrived at the property at 10.30pm. I have photos of the debacle which then ensued - key safe to enter was miles away from front door on the other side of the property and took 3 phone calls and 10 in minutes to locate behind a wheely bin. On entering the wall was dirty and the door to the rooms had had its lock taken out. We managed to get into the room, which was really cold, had not curtain, no beside tables or lamps, and the toilet had no toilet paper (lucky I had some wipes with me)| and we went straight to bed. At around 12.30am, I received 2 calls from the host (I ignored the first one) to ask me to go to the front door to let someone in because they, too, couldn't find the key safe, which I did and found no-one, The host Whatsapped to say they had left. When we woke  up in the morning to find that there was a see through blind and, worse of all, a hole in the window where an extractor fan had been (no wonder it was cold!). I feel we were duped into booking the original room and there was never an intention for us to stay there, and in no way, shape or form was it an upgrade. I want to send a complaint and pics to Airbnb but can't find anywhere to do that. Has anyone been able to do that?

1 Best Answer
Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

HI @Fiona904

Have you made Airbnb Support aware of the situation? If not, please get in touch with them asap. 

Keep us updated. 

Rebecca 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Fiona904 Airbnb's phone number is 02033181111 in the UK. I doubt they will do anything but you never know. Technically they may not refund you as you 'chose' to stay in the property. Clearly you had little choice at this time of night. Also do leave a review of the property explaining the bait and switch. Finally if no success with Airbnb telephone number try Twitter as they do not like to be exposed to bad publicity.

Do let us know how you get on

So, I used the support link on the listing page, and after going round in circles got an advisor to answer my complaint but since it was after 72 hours, they're not going to refund. I'm going to follow up with my bank. I've also out a review up. Weirdly, when I can't now find either listing ....

@Fiona904. Fiona, so sorry to hear this. Please name and shame host by reporting listing to Airbnb as well as using social media for host as suggested by @Mike-And-Jane0 . You can email support@airbnb.com or urgent@airbnb.com apparently as well as phone number.Dont forget to tell them you have supporting documentation (may need to send more than once).

You can use the report button on your reservation as maybe a more direct way. I'd give Airbnb a week to reply then you can put it all in your review (you have up to 14 days from date of departure and they are blind reviews so host wont see until you post).

I know it was afternoon but at 2pm when you got that call I would have contacted Airbnb straight away and mentioned you have been asked to swap and dont feel "safe" about changing to another location and can they contact host to ask for more information about the problem and details of the new location- was it also on Airbnb or not?

The whole set up sounds unsafe and a host who rents remotely by the room without internal locks then asks you to let in a perfect stranger should be banned for life. Apply for a FULL REFUND.

Finally, make a formal complaint to the UK authority responsible for short term letting @Mike-And-Jane0 might know. Here in OZ if you get three complaints you are struck off.

@Frances3408 Strangely I don't think the UK has anyone responsible for short term letting. We have Ombudsmen (sexist I know) for loads of things but not STR.

@Mike-And-Jane0. Wow! Sorry didnt mean to dob you in if thats the case. I am lucky we have regulation here then, although its not well known or understood.

And bring on the sexism as long as they are the best (wo)man for the job 😉

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

HI @Fiona904

Have you made Airbnb Support aware of the situation? If not, please get in touch with them asap. 

Keep us updated. 

Rebecca 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Fiona904
Level 2
Bonnyrigg, United Kingdom

Third time of trying to post a reply.

Have made complaint through the channel on the booking, along with photos. Received a response saying a member of the team would reply when one was available  followed by a message saying the case was closed.  I then received this message in my app inbox:

Hi Fiona,

Thanks for taking the time to reach out. I sincerely apologize for the situation you are in. Rest assured. I'm going to forward your case to a member of our team who's in a better position to resolve this for you. 

We understand that this may have caused some inconvenience to you Fiona, so we're grateful for your patience.

Best regards,

Have now been as this for what seems like hours, going round in circles. Can't see me using Airbnb again.

@Fiona904 The way Airbnb seems to work is that once the first line customer agent passes the issue up the tree then they close the case. It's irritating as you never know if it is still being actioned in the background or not.

Have you reviewed this host? 

Perhaps if you hear nothing in a week or so consider a small claims court case against Airbnb. Alternatively Twitter approaches have been known to work.