Concern guest is trying to avoid 50% cancellation fee by changing reservation date to 2025

Answered!
Zoe498
Level 2
Tamborine Mountain, Australia

Concern guest is trying to avoid 50% cancellation fee by changing reservation date to 2025

We have a Strict Cancellation policy. A guest, due to arrive in 24 days, requested via messages cancellation without penalty. We replied that due to proximity to arrival, the cancellation fee is 50%. 

He has waited 2 days and now come back to ask if he can change the reservation date to "sometime" in February 2025. He is unsure of the dates, but wants to move it until then.

I suspect once he changes the dates he will simply cancel as his reservation will then be outside of the cancellation penalty period.

Does anyone have any advice or details on how it would work if he does in fact cancel the ammended booking dates in February?

If he cancelled the February booking dates, would he automatically get a full refund? Would I have a chance to decline the cancellation?

Sincerest thanks for any advice or experience you can offer with regards to this guest's request.

PS it is the wording and timing of his messages that makes me think he is looking for a way out of paying any cancellation fees and has no intension of staying at all 😞

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Zoe498 The system was improved around Covid time such that cancellation policies remained attached to the original booking dates BUT I would not rely on this. Also if the guest has held your dates for an extended period of time I would go back to him with the following.

Dear XX,

As you have blocked other people from booking with us we may be unable to rebook the dates given this short notice cancellation. What we can offer however is that if you cancel asap then Airbnb will refund you in accordance with our cancellation policy. In addition we will refund what we have received (ie price minus Airbnb fees) for any nights we are able to rebook. The sooner you cancel the more chance we will have of rebooking your dates.

View Best Answer in original post

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Zoe498 The system was improved around Covid time such that cancellation policies remained attached to the original booking dates BUT I would not rely on this. Also if the guest has held your dates for an extended period of time I would go back to him with the following.

Dear XX,

As you have blocked other people from booking with us we may be unable to rebook the dates given this short notice cancellation. What we can offer however is that if you cancel asap then Airbnb will refund you in accordance with our cancellation policy. In addition we will refund what we have received (ie price minus Airbnb fees) for any nights we are able to rebook. The sooner you cancel the more chance we will have of rebooking your dates.

Zoe498
Level 2
Tamborine Mountain, Australia

Sincerest thanks for your detailed reply 👍