Concerning graffiti at listing, host hasn't been helpful, any advice?

Answered!

Concerning graffiti at listing, host hasn't been helpful, any advice?

Hi there-my daughter and her friend have booked a month in an Airbnb in Ostia Rome.Their accommodation was marked with the words “young people”and fearing that they have been targeted or marked by traffickers they have left in panic and gone to a hotel with a view to returning home asapTheir air bnb host has been less than helpful. Please advise-they paid €2000

Pauline Sinnott

**[Contact details removed - Community Center Guidelines]

1 Best Answer
Nur785
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Pauline840 

Can you elaborate? What in their accommodation was marked with the words "young people"? What about the accommodation other than 'young people' made them think they would be targeted by traffickers? 

Have they explained their fears to the host? How has the host been less than helpful? Did the listing have other reviews? 

Also, what kind of advice are you seeking? Is it about getting some sort of refund back? 

View Best Answer in original post

11 Replies 11
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Pauline840 are you sure that it didnt say 'youth hostel'.I am not sure what it is you are saying or asking . Good luck to your daughters.Travelling alone does not always work out ... H

Nur785
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Pauline840 

Can you elaborate? What in their accommodation was marked with the words "young people"? What about the accommodation other than 'young people' made them think they would be targeted by traffickers? 

Have they explained their fears to the host? How has the host been less than helpful? Did the listing have other reviews? 

Also, what kind of advice are you seeking? Is it about getting some sort of refund back? 

This is not about a refund-more a caution to young female tourists.The words were daubed on the wall under my daughter’s bedroom window-take what you will from this

Hello @Pauline840 

My student daughter stayed very recently for 5 months in Rome in an Airbnb and Italy is one of our favourite destinations as a family.  The first thing that strikes us every time we go is the amount of graffiti on the walls of apartment blocks - not just in Rome but everywhere, it's awful but something that the authorities don't seem to do much about.  It's like a national sport!

So, what am I saying?  This graffiti is not targeted at your daughter and her friend per se and it is most unfortunate that their host hasn't been there to allay their fears and as a mum hearing your distraught daughter on the phone to you is alarming and just awful.  Been there!  

If we had a photo of the graffiti, I could ask my daughter if she knows what it means?

I hope they feel safer now and can enjoy their time in Rome.

All the best

Joëlle

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

I agree graffiti is prevalent in many countries across Europe, the US, Canada etc in larger cities and urban areas. 

Perhaps that's why being in the UK I wouldn't see graffiti on a building as a safety concern @Joelle43 

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

That seems rather an over action on your daughters part @Pauline840 based on what you have said .

what do you mean their  accommodation was marked 'young people' ? 

and why would this mean they were targeted by traffickers.

dud they contact the host before leaving regarding their concerns ? 

Their accommodation was graffitied with the words “young ones” and the letter F( female?).Also the shutter on the bedroom window had been  interfered with! Don’t know about the rest of you but anyone with daughters will understand! The host hung up on them when they rang-she is on holiday at the moment. I was really just looking for advice/support-don’t need any negatives. Police have been informed

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Pauline840  it's difficult when you are hearing only part of the story to comment.

Now with the additional information you have provided I would say In Italy they wouldn't use F  (to indicate females) they would use the initial R  for ragazze. It would be strange if it was being targeted by traffickers that they would write 'young ones' in English .

Sad to hear the host hung up on them (or perhaps a lost connection). If the host isn't able to respond to guest inquiries while on holiday they should have a local cohost.

What are the previous reviews like.

And why assume we don't have children?

What sort of advice are you looking for now your daughter has already made the decision to move into the hotel. What did Airbnb say when she contacted them about her concerns?

It doesn't seem based on what you say there is any evidence that the property is being targeted by traffickers. I'm glad your daughter and her friend have found somewhere that they feel safer.

Grafittii was in Italian.

F for femmina?

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Pauline840 

What was the response from the Host when your daughter raised her concerns?  Did your daughter or her friend contact Airbnb directly about the situation?

I thought this article about identify verification might be useful, as it explains more about how and why guests and Hosts must be verified.

You've had some great support here from @Joelle43@Helen3@Nur785 and @Helen744 - I hope that hearing an outside perspective has helped.  Perhaps taking @Joelle43 up on her kind offer of having her daughter look at a photo of the graffiti would help calm everyone's nerves?

Take care,

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines