Coronavirus

PaulaCristina0
Level 5
London, United Kingdom

Coronavirus

Hi all ,

Not sure if anyone can help ...due to coronavirus as i host i had to do a few full refunds due to flights cancellations . 

Do I have to refund also guests that were going to a concert and the gig was cancelled?

Thank you 

11 Replies 11
Diane932
Level 2
Bella Vista, AR

I have the same question.  I have a group coming for a concert that was cancelled due to the Coronavirus.  This isnโ€™t addressed in the extenuating circumstances policy.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Diane932 @PaulaCristina0  you do not have to refund anyone for any reason. You can if you want to but consider that they are splitting the cost between multiple people so each loses a little and you are bleeding out of your own pocket. If they want to pursue extenuating circumstances, they would do it though Airbnb. Concert cancellations are not covered. Point out to them that there are many other wonderful activities in your city they can enjoy

Airbnb couldn't care less. They just gave the guest a full refund in my case. Airbnb is throwing us hosts under the bus.

@Inna22 unfortunately airbnb updated their cancelation policy this morning and ALL bookings within USA are entitled to full refund up until April 1st! With 4 homes that I host this is ๐Ÿคฏ especially when all of my guests are coming in from an hour away! (Car ride!)

@Goda-and-Paulius0 I saw that. Devastating

Airbnb thinks the financial burden of all this should be carried entirely by hosts (and their communities) just when they need some revenues the most.

Face it, Airbnb loves the way our communities and cities look to put in their PR materials, but when it comes to supporting us, Airbnb really doesn't care.  I am writing most of these responses while I am waiting for them to answer my questions, they've put me on terminal hold.....

@Allen137  exactly how I feel - they make themselves look good โ€œ we got this!โ€ At the price of who!? Hosts - owners ! And we have no say in it.. this is exactly why I limit my booking on this site and after policies like this it will be even less! I am very understanding, but there are 2 people with coronavirus in MI, hours away! What will it be next year? They will come up with new policies for flu!? Again - at a cost of hosts... with the money they collect over the years- they should

be making this right for everyone if they are already up for making it โ€œrightโ€ ... not only one side. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@PaulaCristina0  You don't "have to" refund anyone. But Airbnb appears to be giving full refund cancellations to any guest who asks for one.

PaulaCristina0
Level 5
London, United Kingdom

@Diane932 @Sarah977 and all others,  Thank you so much for your responses . Appreciated. 

There is something we can do as host ??

As we also have the power to stop offering our homes or at least we should  shame them...they are like all companies , they treat us like they are pimps .......We do all the work and they get the money .  They do nothing to help hosts....at all . 

The first thing we should all do it's to review them , badly everywhere , and explain the reasons .

And gather all of us and make some noise ....they should play with their own money and not ours ......or help us cope with losses as government are doing to small businesses.....if they do anything I'm going to remove my listing and look for another solution . ..I had many cancellations and the last 2 guests I'll have are already asking if they can cancel.....

I exposed the case cto them , they didn't even reply ....

Wh wen u talk to them , you talk with operators that gives you computerised messages ....

No empathy or whatsoever .....

So, soon Airbnb won't have many hosts and then they will  need us......

Dear Airbnb.      STOP encouraging guests to contact hosts for refunds due to Covid-19.
My listings strongly encourage guests to have trip insurance for instances like this.  We have mortgages, HOA fees,  employees and utilities to pay.
Airbnb needs to STEP UP and either refund the guests themselves or explain to the guest that this is exactly why hosts encourage trip insurance.    STOP making hosts the bad guy or we will all leave Airbnb.

Belinda55
Level 10
Bundeena, Australia

Travel insurance likely does not cover Cvirus related cancellations. We now have border control between states (in Australia), and advised against non-essential travel,  so many can't complete their holidays. I'm happy that Airbnb offers travellers the ability to cancel, and wish they would extend it beyond April 14. This is not Airbnbs fault! They are a platform that we hosts use, and I don't think should be liable to compensate us for circumstances out of their control.