Crazy guest trying to extort money from me.

Ann10
Level 10
New York, NY

Crazy guest trying to extort money from me.

When this women 1st contacted me Airbnb gave me a warning that she might be trying to book off of the platform, but at the time I didn't see it. She put her whole name with esq. at the end, but I booked her on Airbnb. Now, I realize I could have googled her. Anyway, she claims to be a Yale educated lawyer but she can't spell. When she got there she told me the place was clean and inviting, but then a bunch of complaints started coming. My place is out in the desert and my listing states you need a car to get to town cuz it's a couple miles away but she came with no car. I bent over backwards to accommodate her and my cleaning lady offered to go to the store for her but she declined.

For each of her complaints, I asked for photos but none were forth coming. She said she had to buy a battery for the a/c but the thermostat works on electricity. I asked her to submit receipts, but nothing was forth coming. First she told me she wanted a $300 refund or else I was going to get a bad review etc. I responded with this message." What appliance was broken and when was there a "flood?" Was there a problem with bugs? I know my place is a budget rental. If someone brings a problem to my attention, I do my best to fix it, but if I'm not told about it, there isn't anything I can do to fix it. I feel you could have taken photos and alerted me to any problem and I would have done whatever I could to fix it. I tried to fix the TP issue, but you did not respond so I thought maybe you decided you had enough. I'm not a mind reader. Sorry". (There were 12 rolls of TP for 3 people for 9 days, but she claimed there wasn't any so I ordered a giant package from Sam's club that didn't arrive on time). My cleaning lady also offered to pick it up at the store for her, but she declined. She also said I didn't have sugar, but what she really meant was that I didn't have brown sugar.

She agreed before she booked to let me know if anything was wrong, but suddenly at the end, I find out about all these problems, but no photos. Anyway, the below message is her last message to me and there are a bunch like this. I don't know if I should contact Airbnb or just ignore her. See below-

Elizabeth T
11:47 AM
Refrain from further contacting me! I will further procced with requesting a REFUND with Airbnb! I will also file a formsil complaint for Removal of Your Listing as it is in Violation and as You are not who and what You claim to be! I have all supportive documentation-You do not stand a chance! You will retain only what it wss worth to retain! You should be arrested! False,Scamming dishonest Individual! It was a HORRIBLE experience and You will face the consequences of Your own actions! Make sute You FELETE my personal Government isdued Identification! And speaking about the Government-I work with the Federal Branch of the US Government!Given My righteous grounds believe Me YOU DO NOT STAND A CHANCE! CEASE YOUR COMMUNICATION WITH ME!
Little Dot from the Öowest Human Cast! Cleaverly placing your failure to address on a honest,kind being! This time You're screwed! I will request full refund direct with Airbnb and permanently remove Your deceptive "listing"! I will take my time to build the evidenciary and then will leave no room for errors! I am a Attorney You Little dot not some lunatec subliterate low cast from NY subways! Dummkopf!

DO NOT CONTACT ME ANY FURTHER! YOU Rat eater,trush Borderline Disordered Mush! How DARE You?? CEASE!

In my experience, airbnb just makes things worse so lately I've just done nothing if I get someone who is trying to extort me or whatever. I can't imagine that any sane person would read the message thread and find fault with me. This lady was uncommunicative and then suddenly she would explode. What do you guys think? I really think there must be some rule against the way she was addressing me. BTW, I'm a SH and I had a guest offer to buy the place. I think this lady does not have good intentions. She couldn't even spell lawyer, but if she is one why would she stay at a budget rental?

5 Replies 5
Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

@Ann10 Oh my gosh...what a vile human being. No matter how awful she felt the experience to be that message is uncalled for. I am sorry you are dealing with this. 

First and foremost, "extortion" on and off the platform is illegal. Further, Airbnb does not tolerate threats as a means of compliance. Ex I'll leave you a bad review if you don't do xyz.  I am hoping she sent the above message through the Airbnb platform, however, if she did not make sure you copy it (screenshot) and document it via the platform. 

It sounds as if she was one of those rare guests that either come in with a horrible mindset and are looking for a reason to complain or one of those guests that just have unreasonable expectations for travel (budget or otherwise). You did the right thing by asking for documentation to prove her claims, and it sounds like you went above and beyond to address any concerns she had.

Since she is threatening you at this time, cease communication with her and allow Airbnb to take over. If a case has not already been opened, contact Airbnb support and report her behavior. As stated before, make sure everything is documented. Her threatening message will serve in your favor more than they will in hers. 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Ann10, I am so sorry to hear about this dreadful situation you had to face with the guest! From your post, it seems like you have yet to reach out to the Airbnb Customer Support team to report the guest's behaviour.

As our kind host @Jennifer1897 suggested, it is always a good idea to reach out to the Support team in such instances. Do keep us posted if you reach out to them!

In the meantime, I will share this situation with the team that can look into this instance with the guest as well.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thank you Bhumika. Airbnb contacted me because she requested money back, but in the end they ended up agreeing with me. Also, she messed up the house on purpose and I have to pay the cleaning lady extra to get all this orange stuff and gum off of the walls and I think AirCover is going to pay for it. See my response to Jennifer above. This is this lunatics profile. It used to say he name was ** and that she was a Yale educated "esquire" who speaks German, English, and Norsk. However, now her profile says this.

Someone on airbnb said the message about someone trying to pay off of the platform also means they could be a scammer. Well, they should say that cuz she paid upfront, but tried to clip me at the end.

**[Sensitive information removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Hi Jennifer,

All of her insane extortion and other threats were on the platform. Usually, airbnb sides with the guests, but she wasn't smart enough not to make all kinds of threats on the platform. She wrote a ridiculous review full of threats and it was immediately removed. Now, she is also threatening to sue not only me but airbnb. 

Anyway, I left this review for her which doesn't really illustrate how bad it was, but I wanted to be careful. Oh yeah, she changed her name to Intel Excell and said she speaks Zulu.  She removed the part that says she is a Yale educated "Esquire.

Ann

September 2023

When she 1st contacted me, I got a message from airbnb saying to be careful she might be trying to pay off of the platform, but she paid through abb so I thought everything was ok. Boy was I wrong. After staying for 9 days she's coming up with all these excuses to try to get a full refund but abb didn't fall for it. She sends me these really long threatening messages about how she's a Yale educated "loyar" who is going to crush the human filth which is me. I would avoid this guest

Response from Intell

September 2023

You will be REMOVED from this Platform!

I don’t think other hosts will like her response. The only thing is her son is 19 so they can just make a new account.

She changed her profile. This is what it is now. I did tell her that I did some research and I didn't believe she is a "loyar." That's how she spells lawyer.**

**[Sensitive information removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Mar125
Level 10
California, United States

@Ann10 Impersonating is not supported on Airbnb. Try google her true identity by his location and phone number. You can cancel his reservation without a penny refund.