Define 'Private Room' and Host accessibility thereto

Answered!
Ken28
Level 10
Newburgh, IN

Define 'Private Room' and Host accessibility thereto

As a part of hosting, I take it upon myself to do a quick walk-through every couple days. I've been doing this since day one. First, I check that they're not home (car isn't in garage or driveway), and then I knock on the door, and then I let myself in when I verify that they're not present.

I take a quick look around, make sure the trash can isn't full, tissues are stocked, and then inspect to verify that towels are in their proper locations (the bathroom, and not hanging in the bedroom), food is not being stored or disposed of in the rooms, and that they are taking good care of my personal property. (Those are all things that they agreed to in the rules.)

I just had a long term guest leave a week early. She requested a refund of her unused days via the resolution center. Her reason was listed as "uncomfortable" with the host entering the room without permission.

Airbnb reached out to me, and I confirmed that yes, I access my guests rooms without their consent or even notice. Their response said:
"I do truly understand that you would just like to protect your home from damages, and I get that with guests in the past, this has become your primary goal. However, like I said, this is absolutely not something you are allowed to do on our platform. If a guest books your listing as a "private room" they are not expected to share their living quarters, which means this is only for the guest that had booked. By going into this guests listing without her permission, this makes for an uncomfortable and potentially inappropriate situation between you and your guest, and this is something we always would like to avoid."

"With that being said, per our Terms of Service, Section 9 paragraph 5 & 6, I will be proceeding with refunding your guest for the nights she did not stay in your listing. This will amount to a total of $[xxx]. At this time, because you have already received this payout you will be seeing an adjustment to your account for this total. This adjustment will be due to come out of your future payouts."

Nowhere in my reading of the Terms of Service does it say that a Private Room is not accessible to the Host. I've challenged the Manager, but haven't gotten a response back yet.

1 Best Answer
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Maybe this thread has gone far enough, it is taking a massive amount of email alert space and is going nowhere!

@Ken28 is not looking for advice, he is after validation of his position. Every piece of advice that is given here he will come back and counter with his own interpretation, however tenuious! There is an old saying....'There are none as blind as those who will not see'!

Healthy discussion is great but It's time to let this one go and get on with giving advice to others that can be of some use!

Cheers.....Rob

View Best Answer in original post

109 Replies 109

@Ken28  You are very welcome.  I tried to return the favor by looking at your listing  (clicking on the Turquoise Room link in your guests reviews too) but the system says its still gone.  Hope that's not the case.  Thanks for your DM.  Unfortunately, I was unable to see the photos of Duke.  You can always upload him on the CC in a public post.....or perhaps you can send it via social media IF you participate. haha

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Liz140
Level 4
Danville, IN

Dear Ken,

I have been hosting Airbnb for four years now. I am busy abot 80% of the month. I totally get you. The extent of your concern demonstrates the level of care that you put into your business.  A high level of respect on the part of the guest is required. Guests come into our homes, and to a great extent our lives. Airbnb is not a hotel service and we are not inn keepers. I am not sharing my space/life with rude and inconsiderate people. No way! Keep up the good work. You are the kind of host we need. 

@Liz140,

I appreciate your sentiment here, especially at a time when I'm debating whether I want to start hosting again.

Are you serious, Ken??? Do you notify your guest before you enter THEIR space???

Absolutely, unacceptable. I would ignore your “knocks”, Park my car somewhere else, and punch you in your face as soon as you opened that door to violate my space.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your comments here, it certainly has highlighted a range of opinions.

I do feel we have slightly exausted this discussion though and I am going to close this to new comments now. 

Thank you for your time.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.