Discrimination of ability to rent an AirBandB because we have no prior reviews as users of AirBandB

Discrimination of ability to rent an AirBandB because we have no prior reviews as users of AirBandB

My Husband and I attempted to rent a place through AirBandB for our Anniversary and Birthdays in September, however the Host said they would not accept us as guests because we had no prior reviews from your company? I understand to some degree, but we are in our 60's, homeowners and very responsible people. This is very upsetting that this would be the case. How is someone expected to get reviews if there isn't an opportunity to rent through AirbandB? How is that this type of discrimination is allowed?

1 Reply 1
Shelley159
Level 10
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Steven1782 

This seems to be the policy of the individual host. Hosts who require guests to send a request before booking, may be looking to enforce a specific policy (such as not accepting guests who do not have a specific number of good reviews). But there are many hosts who have no such requirement, and also many properties that accept instant bookings. When you identify a suitable property, be sure to make it clear how you will be celebrating, that you are in your 60s, and (if it's not just the two of you) exactly how many people will attend. While only some hosts will avoid a guest simply because they don't have reviews, many hosts may decline a booking if they are unsure whether you will throw a big, wild party.