Dishwasher Discount

Dishwasher Discount

Hello Everyone!

We have a guest who is staying only for three nights. He is a problem from the start, trying to book for fewer people than are coming,  trying to cancel the day of arrival, and asking for a full refund. He blamed it on his child being sick and unable to travel and when I politely refused to refund his stay, his child was suddenly feeling better. He then tried complaining that we offered a 10 percent discount which he now doesn't see reflected in the price. Which I believe was a way to get us to give him a discount because we did not alter any prices or discounts. After arrival, he complained about wifi which we resolved by giving him access to our wifi strengthener.  However, guests who departed before him broke the dishwasher and I managed to get the technician in the same day and he said we needed a new one. This guest was checking in the same day so we couldn't exchange it(we are on an island where everything takes longer because of limited resources). As we have listed the dishwasher as an amenity, I told him straight away, apologized for the inconvenience and provided the guest with dish soap, a sponge, and a brush, and told them that when they checked out they wouldn't need to do their dishes and we would have the cleaning team do them (I know they will probably have to wash some dishes by hand but I thought this is a reasonable solution). He however requested a discount....  So my question is do we offer him a discount and if yes how big? I do feel this guest will look for any reason to ask for a discount and I do feel that it is not such an inconvenience to hand wash dishes for 3 nights... 5%? I am also afraid this guest will give me a bad review if he doesn't get a discount... 

3 Replies 3
Marie8425
Level 10
Buckeye, AZ

@Tina11837 

I know he is a pain in thhhe  bbutttt hhahaa.

Your right the  world didn't end  just inconvenienced.

Okay,  now business  perspective.

Do  not decide discount until after check out, because he already has red red flags that he will just use every dish and leave it for you . lol

Then I would  look at 3 days stay and how many people?  Eating how many meals in the property estimated?

Even if he  does no dishes, dirty dishes for  3 days is gross  so  yes  a   discount.

All in perspective though.  

Shelley159
Level 10
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Tina11837 

@Marie8425 has made a great suggestion to wait until check-out before you actually process any discount in this case! I think you handled the dishwasher situation extremely well - the average guest would have seen it as fair and considerate.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Tina11837 , thank you for sharing these guest challenges with the community. How did you deal with this situation at the end? 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines