Dissatisfied guest.

Shawn706
Level 1
Castle Rock, CO

Dissatisfied guest.

We recently had a guest who stayed at our cabin.  The area has been having mice activity.  We made contact with her when we heard others talking about recent activity.  She told us she was and we immediately sent over our property manager to begin treatment.  We refunded her $257 a nights stay that day.  They stayed their entire 4 night  booking.  After, she sent us an email telling us that one night stay isn’t enough and wants the entire 4 nights comped.  

My husband and I drove up and stayed in the cabin 1 night after they had checked out.  We also encountered a few mice so will of course comp her entire stay.  Although, our cabin was no were near what she had described, we have pest control scheduled and my husband and I have scrubbed every surface with bleach.  

My question is if she gives us a negative review can we rebut it?  We have taken all necessary steps to remedy the problem and refunded all her money.  Also, do we refund taxes, cleaning and Airbnb fees?

Thank you,

Michele Kirk

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Shawn706 I am afraid they can leave a review and you will not be able to get it removed. You can respond to it though but your response should be aimed at future guests not the ones that stayed. You are in a difficult position because if you say you have refunded the guest then you might be seen as an easy touch by future guests demanding refunds.

You can refund what you want but the Airbnb fees and taxes will take you into negative territory. The guest is being a bit naughty as they weren't too bothered by the mice to move out - Only too bothered when it came to paying to be there.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why would you refund the whole stay?

In your situation I would have offered the guest the opportunity to cancel penalty free if they weren't happy to stay knowing mice were at the listing. 

What the guest can't do is stay for four nights and then expect their money back @Shawn706 

they can leave you a negative review whether you refund or not

is your property manager a pest control expert? . If not - how were they able to go to your property and sort out the issue of mice?