Do hosts supply breakfast cereals?

Answered!
Joy362
Level 1
Wales, United Kingdom

Do hosts supply breakfast cereals?

I supply all condiments , tea, coffee, sugar, milk, biscuits, sauces, soup so that if they are late there is something there for them, washing tabs and conditioner, all bathroom requirements.

Do I need to supply cereal? 

1 Best Answer
Susan1028
Level 10
Oregon, US

@Joy362 

I really enjoy cooking and hosting and do advertise breakfast.  I promise home made organic granola, yogurt, fruit, coffee, tea and condiments, so folks know they can have a relaxed morning enjoying the cottage and beautiful grounds without having to leave for breakfast unless they wish to.

I also provide maps of local groceries fish markets, and farmers markets in my house manual if they want to cook in and enjoy some of our famous fresh local catch.

Making your own granola is simple, inexpensive, you can change it up based on ingredients you have, i make it gluten free, and it only takes 30 minutes from start to aromatic and toasty cinnamon finish. I present mine in an old fashioned mason jar on the counter next to the jar of fresh ground organic Sumatra, and French press and drip coffee makers.

If they’re staying 2 or more nights, I add fresh eggs, some good bread, jelly, and if I’m in the mood and have time I might create a home made fresh baked quiche, muffins, or pastry.

Condiments, butter, cooking oil, and basic spices are givens as well, and I do inquire about dietary preferences in advance, appreciating food sensitivities myself and wanting everyone to feel loved and cared for.

Anything beyond what’s promised is a surprise I enjoy providing and my guests are equally inspired. 

I concur with the others; do it if you feel moved to, but if it’s not in your listing it’s an unexpected bonus 💖

View Best Answer in original post

46 Replies 46
Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@Joy362 

I will supply small box or two of dry cereal with a small carton of milk if I know that there are children who will be staying. Otherwise, I try to keep 6 eggs, a little butter, few individual "fancy/grownup/no sugar added" yogurts, an orange, and some frozen English muffins or bagels in the freezer (but I don't tell the guests ahead of time in case I run out and can't make it to the store....underpromise/overdeliver or something like that). 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Joy362  You don't "need" to supply anything aside from bedding, towels, toilet paper and soap. But if you state that you offer breakfast foods, then some cereal might be welcomed.

Joy362
Level 1
Wales, United Kingdom

Thank you,  I supply tea, coffee, sugar , hot chocolate all condiments sauces, oils,  soup, washing tabs , conditioner, bathroom  toiletries. And they have asked for Cereal!!!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Do you say you provide breakfast in your listing @Joy362 ? If not you don't need to provide any breakfast items.

Just go back to the guest and confirm that you don't provide breakfast in your listing price, and direct them to nearby places they can go for breakfast or local shops for breakfast items

Yes, I agree with the point one can also serve cold drinks and beverage to the guest. After that one can also go with some cereal according to the need.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Joy362 as @Sarah977 said, you don't have to supply anything. If they ask for cereal at my place I will send them locations from the nearby supermarkets where they can buy some. I also supply drinking water, coffee and tea but that's it, they can buy anything else they need. 

Andrea-and-Francis0
Level 10
Mississauga, Canada

We supply a few packets of instant oatmeal as all they need is water to make it. It's super easy! Your best to supply whatever you feel like to supplying. There is no requirement to supply anything but the guesture is always nice for guests when you do 🙂

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Joy362 

We have 2-3 sorts of cereals in jars, it is really inexpensive and shows that we care so why not? 🙂

I don't supply cereal as I don't say I include breakfast and I have many lovely cafe's within a few minutes walks or local shops. @Branka-and-Silvia0 

But one of the most important reasons I don't include it is that increasingly people have allergies to gluten and nuts and I don't want to risk any potential health issues or the need to buy a range of cereals to cover multi allergies.

@Helen3 

We also don't offer breakfast and we have a small breakfast diner, small grocery store and 2 cafes 50 m from our apartment.

We discovered our supplies are so rarely used that we have to throw away and replace some items because the date expires. For example, a bottle of cooking oil could last for 6 months 🙂

Also, some guests leave behind some coffee, oil, cereals... so we rarely have to buy anything.  It costs us next to nothing and it looks nice.

The biggest food-related expense are small chocolates we leave on the pillow 🙂

People with allergies know what they can or can't eat and it is their responsibility. It's not that I force them to eat it 🙂

I think it probably works for you because you have whole listings and I share my home.

I don't tend to get people leaving food items/cereals at my place. So it is an extra expense and also something else that takes up space in my kitchen.

I think as always it is about finding a way of hosting that works for you and your guests.

I am sure your guests appreciate it @Branka-and-Silvia0 

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Joy362, you are not required to provide anything that is not stated in your listing. Your listing does not say breakfast included, therefore why should you supply cereal? It is up to your guests to read what is on offer. They have a full kitchen to use and there is no mention of breakfast being supplied so frankly I think it is ridiculous your guests are asking for cereal. Do it if you want but absolutely don't feel obliged to.

Just a tip: don't respond to negative private feedback (e.g. the rug, cereal, etc.) in your responses to reviews. It just draws attention to things that prospective guests would have had no idea about. For example, now that you have mentioned that you might provide cereal, guests might now be expecting it. If you want to respond directly to your guests, send them a message as they probably aren't going to read your public response anyway. Think of your public responses being for the benefit of FUTURE guests, not the guest you're  responding to.

We provide three big glass jars on the breakfast table: Corn Flakes, Shreddies and Granola.  Shreddies and Granola seem the most popular. 

they also get as much toast as they want, choice of jam, orange juice, tea, coffee marmalades and marmite 😕

Some people actually don't want to eat much first thing, I'm one of those myself. There are a lot of us about.  I'd probably force a small portion of cereal to be polite, but usually skip breakfast and take an early lunch a couple of hours after getting up. 

I used to work offshore on rigs, and observed that people seemed to split into two distinct groups in the morning, those who eat, and those who just want tea/coffee/nicotine.  So if you do offer cereals I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how little the guests do get through.

I'm pleasantly surprised myself how long a catering pack of granola from the cash and carry lasts.

I am currently engaged in the ongoing "chickens war", Mrs Kev wants chickens, I don't want chickens. So they aren't getting eggs on my watch.

@Kevin1322  I always thought coffee and nicotine was breakfast 🙂 I remember one Mother's Day about 30 years ago- the kids woke me up (gee, thanks) and sang out "Happy Mother's Day!" and stuck a plate of fried eggs in front of me. I barely had my eyes open yet. It turned my stomach, but of course what could I say but "Oh, how sweet of you guys. It looks delicious!".