Do you reply to your reviews?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Do you reply to your reviews?

377924_GettyImages-900250042_ForYou.jpg

Hey there Hosts,

When a guest writes a review about their stay, the host can always reply to it. Do you often reply to your guest’s review? If you do, do you have your own personal guidelines on how you reply?

What are your top tips?

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

82 Replies 82
Hikia0
Level 2
Cleveland, OH

As I am reading...I’m wondering what the Level ratings are beside your names? 

Thank you!

Lyn3
Level 10
Mapleton, Australia

Hikia, (couldn't tag you, sorry) ...the levels are simply related to how many times people post something on this forum, and the numbers go up to Level 10 and stay at that level from then on.

kind regards, Lyn.

Colleen85
Level 1
Ojai, CA

I respond to every Review and thank the guest for their kind Review, and possibly comment on one of the details they included. I use the Private Message if they made a specific request or suggestion to acknowledge it, also with a Thank You. In 1 1/2 years of hosting our Ojai, CA house (The Yellow Nest), we have a 5.0 Overall Rating, 58  Total Reviews, and a 97% with 97% 5 Stars and 3% 4 Stars. I manage/curate the Reviews very carefully. If someone doesn't leave a Review, I don't leave a Review, nor do I follow-up if they don't. I feel intuitively that if they don't have time or don't want to leave a Review, I don't have to push the issue. Hope this helps!

Always reply to reviews.

Angela1172
Level 2
Delphi, IN

I don't understand, My computer constantly reminds me to review the "guests". I thought this was almost mandatory in being a host.????

@Angela1172  This thread is not about leaving a review. It is about "responding" to a review that a guest leaves.

Cheryl389
Level 7
Keyport, NJ

I've only had one low rated review, and I replied to it because the person's comment didn't match their rating. According to their conversation with me through messaging and according to the comment offered, they had a good experience, but offered me a 3. I responded to help set the record straight because I don't think she understood how to use the rating system. Otherwise, I like to say thank you. I allow guests to book the entire house, and I generally wait until they have checked out to come and clean it, so there isn't a great opportunity for a response other than "thank you" if everything went well.

Pamela539
Level 2
Gig Harbor, WA

Yes, I have been responding to reviews mainly because Airbnb sends a message to respond.  I can see where it is redundant as I have already replied privately but I don’t see any harm either.  It is a quick “thanks for the review and glad you enjoyed your stay”.

@Pamela539  Really? I've never gotten a message from Airbnb to respond to a review. Or are you confusing this with being sent a reminder to leave a review?

Tonette0
Level 2
Barrie, Canada

I do not respond to a basic review, however, if the guest leaves a detailed, extremely positive review I will respond. I want to acknowledge the time and care they took and let them know it’s appreciated. 

Lisa1161
Level 2
Corvallis, OR

I reply to ALL reviews.  99% of my reviews are positive so I usually thank my guests for choosing my home for their visit..  Only once in 125 reviews did I need to "defend" myself against a bad review from problematic guest (I discovered he was problematic to several hosts upon reviewing his history).  Even then, I was professional and curtious.   One couple mentioned to me that it was my responses to the reviews that led them to chose my home.  So, I take the time to provide a sincere note of gratatude. 

I don't know if this has been already adressed... I cannot reply to reviews from the cell phone app. the only way I have been able to do it is from my laptop.... Any suggestions or instructions on how to do it from the phone as well? Thanks

Patricia1307
Level 3
Springboro, PA

I always reply to reviews with a simple thank you and hope you stay again or somthing of that nature. If I have a negative review I clarify the problem and say I will try to rectify a problem for future guests if it is something worth noting.

Jeanine25
Level 2
Beech Mountain, NC

I just had a somewhat negative review and this is the first one I have ever gotten. It was strange because all the categories had 5 stars but we received a 3 overall. How does this even happen? The public and private note said that they were woken up at 3am by "disturbances" but didn't say what it was. Our livingroom is right over the downstairs guest bedroom so the disturbances are probably from my husband, who occaisionally gets  up at 3am!!! I understand that this is our fault, most likely. This is the first complaint we've gotten but I don't even know how to reply to the guest. What would be appropriate as a reply? Nothing?  

Loulou7
Level 2
Miami, FL

Hello Stephanie,

I normally reply to the private feedback because the guests have been thoughtful enough to leave a kind word and I want to acknowledge that, I do believe it’s incorrect to have a public answer to a private note! We should be able to answer our guests privately as their note was intended for our “ears” only. 

I had one guest this year that compelled me to set the record straight and express my issue with his arrogant ways.  I was very surprised ,though not displeased , that my reply to his private comment was not made private also by your administration. I consider it a glitch  and even a flaw in the system. We all need structure but this may be too similar to a “ big brother” system.