Dog inside

Rachael405
Level 1
Mudjimba, Australia

Dog inside

Hi community, this is only my second time hosting (it's our home)

We allow 1 small dog as per our house rules, but to be strictly kept outside at all times. Reminded them of this twice before arrival and left and extra note on the bench as a 'reminder'as pet claws scratch our floors..

Guests show up with a large dog but told them we could let it slide.

But then straight away let the dog inside.. and their whole stay the door has been left open allowing the dog to come and go as it pleases.

We are so upset considering how many times we told them, and are scared of the damage to our home, (they check out in 5 days)

My questions is what can I charge for this? I spoke to airbnb the moment I realised they had the dog inside and they said I could only charge a fee once they left.

Has anyone else had this happen, and what did you charge? 

Thanks 

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

What did the guest say when you spoke to them about it @Rachael405 

ultimately as they carried on breaking your house rules you could have had Airbnb cancel the booking and had the guests leave

most people won't leave their dogs outside so you'd probably be better saying no pets .

Airbnb advised me not to say anything until they leave and have left a review as they might leave a bad review.

Yeah I think I'm just going to not allow pets from now on.

Had a simmilar issue with our previos booking 

Muslim4
Level 8
Almaty, Kazakhstan

Hello, I once tried allowing guests with pets. I've not specified the species, size and quantity though. Then a couple with a cat appeared after some time. I barely had a chance to see the cat itself since they were so careful, the cat seemed to behave so well, and they left the property clean, there was no bad smell after them. In your case, if you want to keep hosting guests with pets, I think there should be a precise definition of what a 'small dog' is, like height, weight, breed etc described in your house rules. Otherwise, it's not clear for the guests, and they might just say that their pet is 'small' and it's not against the house rules. Answering your question, yes you can ask for the reimbursement after their stay. However, if it is too obvious, you noticed something that is strictly against your house rules, and the guests don't react to your comments - you can cancel their reservation or you can try requesting money right away (with photos of damage attached).

Screenshot (450).png