Dogs, dogs, dogs....

Steve3189
Level 3
Bristow, VA

Dogs, dogs, dogs....

I'm new to this, in the new person area so I think I have the right spot.

I bought a place in a busy summer town in Maine.    My policy is no dogs, which is the same policy as the guy I bought the place from.   I'm told I shouldn't have a problem getting bookings, but of course I'm a little anxious.   It's only January, though. 

I'm on a Facebook group where people look for places in the area, and it's nothing but questions about "pet friendly".   I've already had at least 2 queries through AirBNB from people that want to bring pets.   

I have a couple of dogs myself and I don't want them in my place.  I know how much they shed.  

Should I reconsider my policy or hold firm?   Also, nobody can leave a review for you if you decline an offer, right?  (She wanted to bring a dog and asked for 6 nights, when my summer plan is 7 nights).

Thanks

9 Replies 9
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Steve3189 we do just fine with our no pet policy. We could possibly do a bit better if we allowed them but at what cost to our cleanliness score and potential damage!

No people can't review just because you decline a booking request.

Finally be aware to differentiate between a booking request and a booking enquiry. The latter just needs responding to you do NOT have to decline/accept even though the website tries to make you do so.

Patricia3334
Level 7
Tennessee, United States

I opened up my downstairs level 3 weeks ago.  I allow dogs bc I love them and when I travel I wish they were with me. That said: I haven't had any problem yet, ie.  extra expense, damage. Not to say it will never happen. I also have a fenced in yard just for the lower level.

My bookings have been pretty steady. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Steve3189  It's totally your call and I wouldn't let a bunch of Facebook posts influence my decision. There are also plenty of guests who have pet allergies and look specifically for places that do not allow pets.

I have had dogs off and on all my life, and my latest one, who I recently had to have put down (old and had cancer) was a major and constant shedder, so I know exactly what you are talking about. I never would have dreamed of taking her to an Airbnb- I wouldn't do that to another host- I got a house and dog sitter when I travelled. I have also never allowed dogs on the furniture and all my dogs have been primarily outside dogs. 

But you can't control that if you allow pets- saying no dogs on the furniture or beds is unenforceable- if the dog is used to being on the sofa or sleeping in bed, they will also do that in your home, regardless of any pet rules. And dog's nails can scratch up those nice wooden floors you have. 

Also there's this fairly recent phenomenon I find bizarre, where some dog owners use "pee pads"- the dog relieves itself indoors, which I find totally gross. Even when my dogs were puppies, they learned real quick that they do their business outside only.

I do not allow guest pets. But lots of hosts do and some say that apart from the dog hair (and some dogs barely shed), they really haven't had issues.

@Sarah977 Thanks.   I have seen how much damage/wear a dog can do to my home's floors.  I won't let the internet pressure me, I just wasn't sure how badly the market demands pet friendly.  Or maybe, that's the demand right now since not everyone allows it.   I'm just getting antsy to get the rest of the bookings.   I have been here in high summer, I know they will come.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Hold out, @Steve3189. In a few months, you will be flooded with Summer booking requests and inquiries and many, many of them will meet your exact parameters (7 nights, no pets, etc.) 

@Emilia42  Awesome.  

David7870
Level 8
Vista, CA

We have been getting almost exclusive dog family guests. But I’m getting tired of the extra work. First I tried just adding $10 per dog( we try to keep it at one friendly potty trained dog). But even with the extra money. I’m pooped of the extra work. 

oh and did I mention that someone’s potty trained dog was marking/spaying on there. 

yeah!!$ 

@David7870  Cats spray, dogs do not. They do mark with urine, though.

I was concerned when I posted this since I guess a lot of people that take their dogs have to start earlier than others looking for places.  I am not completely booked up, but as of now, have a good number of nights covered without allowing for dogs.  I know how messy my own dogs are, and dogs in a new environment, not matter how we behaved at home, sometimes have issues.   So, I stuck to my guns and it wasn't an issue.