Emotional support animals

Answered!

Emotional support animals

I need help on this one:
We don't accept pets, as we have guests with all sorts of allergies. But some guests try to get past our rule with the term "emotional support animals." There is a guest pending such a request. How should I respond? Thank you

1 Best Answer
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @ThuHang0 ,

Welcome to the Airbnb Community Center!

You can also explore the Airbnb Help Center articles to know more on how to deal with such situations : 

👉 Accessibility Policy 
👉 Questions about Airbnb's Nondiscrimination Policy.

I hope this helps!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

View Best Answer in original post

32 Replies 32
Bronwyn100
Level 7
Hardys Bay, Australia

I’m not sure where you live but in NSW you would need to accommodate the guest if they have proof. What if it was a guide dog? 

Hi  Bronwyn100,

Yes, I am in the US. In the US, I believe that, with a guide dog and accompanying proof, we will have to accommodate. But in the US, emotional support animals are not considered guide or service animals. So technically, they don't have proof. But I guess, I'll just have to state our reasons directly to the guest as to why unfortunately we don't want pets or emotional support animals at our place. 

Thank you!

Like I said before, Airbnb does not give you advance notice of ESA and if you protest you will be fined.  VRBO does distinguish between ESA and Service Animals and you have an opportunity to make an informed decision.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @ThuHang0 ,

Welcome to the Airbnb Community Center!

You can also explore the Airbnb Help Center articles to know more on how to deal with such situations : 

👉 Accessibility Policy 
👉 Questions about Airbnb's Nondiscrimination Policy.

I hope this helps!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thank you, Bhumika. This helps.

Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

I can’t have dogs due to severe allergies of family members who use the home when not rented. I’m not a hotel but a home. There are so many listings that take dogs so potential guests need to be respectful with the rule I have established. 

@Basha0 wrote:

I can’t have dogs due to severe allergies of family members who use the home when not rented. I’m not a hotel but a home. There are so many listings that take dogs so potential guests need to be respectful with the rule I have established. 

Thank you, Basha0. Similar situation with me and my sentiments, exactly!

I tried to get an exemption and got a list of almost impossible conditions to prove.  Good luck.  VRBO does distinguish between ESA and Service Animals and gives hosts notice of ESAs.  While they don't give notice of Service Animals that has never ever come up.   It only takes 48 hours online to get the ESA certification and I have gotten those for sure!!

Rebecca70
Level 3
Arizona, United States

I have had this happen, they try to not pay for their pet by calling it an emotionally support dog. It cost us extra to clean up after a pet regardless if it's an emotionally support pet. Airbnb just passes these cost into the home owner and that's not right. While we're at it, babies cost more in resources, they use a bathtub of water and electricity and space just like adults and Airbnb let's them stay at your house for free. I turn around and charge them and they get all upset because my policy and Airbnb policy is not the same. I've had guest register 4 babies and 5 adults. Airbnb needs to quit dictating to  homeowners who goes free, they are a booking agency.

Thanks, Rebecca70, for sharing your experiences! What you're saying makes sense.

Best,

Thu-Hang

Currently, Hosts are powerless. We need a Trade Association that fights back as a group!

VRBO does make a distinction between ESA and Service Animals and gives the host notice of ESA.   They appear to care about their hosts.

We need a Trade Association for hosts of STRs or else they are just keep chipping away at our rights.

I had a guest bring a puppy as an emotional support dog which poop and pee all over the carpets. I put in a claim so the guest gave me a poor review which resulted in a suspension. 
Airbnb, your business relies on host rather large investments, not the other way around!.