Exceeded Guest Limit

Answered!
Dawna14
Level 1
Bakersfield, CA

Exceeded Guest Limit

My guests showed and are to have 5 people; however, showed with 12.  How does Airbnb handle that?  

1 Best Answer
Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Dear @Dawna14 🙂

Make sure to write in your house rules that only registred guests are allowed on the premises and a maximum 6 people (it is not enough to just ‘tic the box’ in the house rules - you will need to write your house rules below the ticked boxes house rules (does it make sense 😅 - I try to explain with my school English 😅). Otherwise it will happen again and again. 
Guests have to agree to the house rules in order to be able to book. When someone books I would also write in the thank you and confirmation message - a little note about the house rules. You can search in this community and find the most common house rules to have. I started out with no rules as I somehow expected there to be an universal common sense - that I can now say doesnt exist. House rules are so important. 
Best, Sandra

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Dawna14 The best Aiibnb can do from afar is cancel the reservation, empowering you to ask them then to leave, but you will still have to deal with them. When they showed with 12 was the time to address the problem. Now is a chase.

Hello @Fred13 .  I did not ask them to leave, I let them stay.  I was not sure sure how those type of issues were handled.  They were respectful while they stayed one night, it was a basketball team for a high school.  I discussed with the coach that the house is not equipped to house 13 people, and only 2 adults and 3 children were included on the reservation.  I did not have any issues and the house had no damages, or wear and tear, thankfully.

@Dawna14  AirBnB will not handle this for you.  Your only option is to request that the guests leave and once they have gone, you can cancel and lose the payment.  Trying to keep any part of the payment is an issue -- they will complain that they were kicked out "for no reason" or that your property was not as listed and CS will probably issue a full refund.

Oh good that it turned out well. It is a case by case thing, no one size fits all. Many, many times I have made an exception because oftentimes is just a silly mistake, without malice. If it is a case of the latter, then no they do not pass the door (get in the boat in my case).

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Dawna14 ,

Did you notice @Fred13's advice?

Did you happen to reach out to Customer Support for further assistance? Do keep us posted on how it turned out in the end. 

You may also like to refer to this article that talks about situations when guests want to bring more people.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Dear @Dawna14 🙂

Make sure to write in your house rules that only registred guests are allowed on the premises and a maximum 6 people (it is not enough to just ‘tic the box’ in the house rules - you will need to write your house rules below the ticked boxes house rules (does it make sense 😅 - I try to explain with my school English 😅). Otherwise it will happen again and again. 
Guests have to agree to the house rules in order to be able to book. When someone books I would also write in the thank you and confirmation message - a little note about the house rules. You can search in this community and find the most common house rules to have. I started out with no rules as I somehow expected there to be an universal common sense - that I can now say doesnt exist. House rules are so important. 
Best, Sandra

Dawn241
Level 10
Sierra Vista, AZ

@Dawna14 Understand that guests are going to see the size of the house and determine that they can fit more people than you allow on sofas and air mattresses and cots etc. if you charge a base rate and then additional guest rate, they will pick the cheaper rate and bring the max number.  you have to dumb it down. 

guests are visitors too- max 6. - whether staying over or not ( we get all the time “but they’re not staying over”), whether inside or out (we get all the time “we’re having a cookout”- they are still going in and out using the bathrooms), regardless of reason (we get all the time “ somebody died, family reunion, holiday”).

We expect the max 6 to be the same 6 people throughout the duration of your stay, not 6 different people everyday (covers the loophole of different people coming and going but not exceeding 6).

Outdoor security cameras in use. 

reservation will be canceled immediately and you will be evicted with no refund. 

put it in your additional rules, automatic booking message, and I also put it under other things to note.