Winter Release Q&A session

Extenuating Circumstances Policy - Guests - Urgent Help

Answered!
Nick2772
Level 2
Worthing, United Kingdom

Extenuating Circumstances Policy - Guests - Urgent Help

Hi there, 

Air B n B don't seem to understand their own policy. 

The reservation in France was cancelled due to the riots / civil unrest / civil disorder / explosions in Toulouse last weekend.

We are covered under the following as per their Extenuating Policy Guidelines:

1. Government travel restrictions. Travel restrictions imposed by a governmental agency that prevent or prohibit travelling to, staying at, or returning from the Listing location. This does not include non-binding travel advisories and similar government guidance.
*There were curfews in place and restrictions on public transport*

2. Military actions and other hostilities. Acts of war, hostilities, invasions, civil war, terrorism, explosions, bombings, rebellions, riots, insurrection, civil disorder, and civil unrest.
*There were riots, explosions, civil disorder and civil unrest*

Our safety was clearly compromised so we need a full refund. When this Policy allows for cancellation, it controls and takes precedence over the reservation’s cancellation policy. Guests that are affected by an event covered by this Policy can cancel their reservation and receive, depending on the circumstances, a cash refund, travel credit, and/or other consideration.

We have asked for a full refund and they genuinely don't understand what to do. They say they will go to Host as not covered under this Policy but can't tell us why.

Thanks,

Nick

Top Answer
Nick2772
Level 2
Worthing, United Kingdom

They haven’t resolved it though. 

This what Air B n B have got wrong: 

1. Promised five call backs and didn’t get one. 

2. Support Ambassador addressed me by incorrect name via message. 

3. Support Ambassador said they would resolve and the emailed me quoting the correct City. 

4. Your Extenuating Circumstances  Policy covers me for the riots but you deny they took place. I have provided video evidence. 

You then went to Host to ask for refund despite the Policy overriding that. 

5. Inconsistent messages from all Support Ambassadors giving the impression you don’t know what you are doing. 

6. You clearly prioritise profit over safety if your guests. 

View Top Answer in original post

15 Replies 15
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

You probably didn’t realize it, but you’ve already written about this here.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Support-with-your-bookings/French-Riots-Air-B-N-B-No-Help/td-p/1...

Nick2772
Level 2
Worthing, United Kingdom

Fully aware but this is a separate point about EC Policy 

@Nick2772  Isn’t the point of both posts that you want a refund for your stay, and Airbnb won’t give you one?

Nick2772
Level 2
Worthing, United Kingdom

Correct. 

Two different points but appalling customer service either way. 

@Nick2772 we experienced the riot in Saint Denis in front of our listing in our 1st night less than 6hrs after our checked in we called Airbnb Support team immidiately provided the video and all documentation next morning we were advised to stay at the listing as they help us to find a new one we waited until 7pm but not able to book a single listing due to error in Airbnb website we were given a promise of 20% voucher refund and possible reimbursement but right after we secured ourselves into safety someone from @Airbnb Support team reversed the initial decision and told us that what we have experienced is not qualified within Extenuating policy and it is our host discretion to refund us or not. We've been asking them why they reversed the offers given to us and why the riot the happened in front of the listing  is no longer qualified with Extenuating policy (less than 50mtrs away we provided a very clear video about and all news clippings regarding Riots in Saint Denis til July 3) No one from Airbnb support team can provide such explanation worst each support team member is saying totally different things one will say it is within extenuating policy then every time a new handles the case the decision becomes different. Seems Extenuating policy is just a display on Airbnb website and don't want to be accountable towards obligation mentioned on their own policy. And their own support team cannot even provide a clear guidance / explanation on how they come up with such decision/resolution on the case you have raised regarding extenuating policy. 

Nick2772
Level 2
Worthing, United Kingdom

Sorry to hear this @Ramil19 

Sounds similar to my service and going round in circles then they close the case and the cycle starts again. 

I have no idea how to move forward. 

@Nick2772 Yes what i observed is Airbnb Support team is trying their best to avoid/held accountable by Extenuating Policy-as no one from their end can explain why they have concluded RIOT in certain part of PARIS specifically suburbs and to be more specific Saint Denis where we stayed for 1 night is not qualified as event under the policy. Worst they published this policy to avoid negative experience by guests and hosts yet they don't want to uphold it-they don't even bother to consider the safety of my family-I'm with two infant and one 73 yrs old senior citizen. I'm just trying to extend my patience and keep calling them hoping that someone from their support team can give me the right explanation and can understand what is the purpose of their extenuating policy. As a guests we are not asking for something that is not clearly stated on their policy. Hopefully they will realized that if they don't upheld their own policy it has negative impact towards their company. 

Nick2772
Level 2
Worthing, United Kingdom

But they don’t seem to care and prioritise profit over their own guests safety 

After 2 weeks of almost calling Airbnb Support Hotline I received a full refund  

Screenshot_20230715_210111.jpg

Nick2772
Level 2
Worthing, United Kingdom

Amazing. 

I am still getting the same excuses. Not covered despite there saying there were riots 

Its so inconsistent.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Nick2772 ,

I am sorry to hear that you are having difficulty in getting a satisfactory resolution. I understand that you have already gone through the Extenuating Circumstances Policy and that Airbnb Support team has already reached out to you in this regards. Please know that I have also shared your feedback with the Support team. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Nick2772
Level 2
Worthing, United Kingdom

They haven’t resolved it though. 

This what Air B n B have got wrong: 

1. Promised five call backs and didn’t get one. 

2. Support Ambassador addressed me by incorrect name via message. 

3. Support Ambassador said they would resolve and the emailed me quoting the correct City. 

4. Your Extenuating Circumstances  Policy covers me for the riots but you deny they took place. I have provided video evidence. 

You then went to Host to ask for refund despite the Policy overriding that. 

5. Inconsistent messages from all Support Ambassadors giving the impression you don’t know what you are doing. 

6. You clearly prioritise profit over safety if your guests. 

Nick2772
Level 2
Worthing, United Kingdom

I clearly meant your SA quoted the wrong City. I would say that’s because they weren’t listening. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Nick2772 Or they made a mistake - Just like you did.