Extreme germaphobes

Fran-and-Mike0
Level 2
Longwood, FL

Extreme germaphobes

i have been a host for 5 years and Ive had my share of picky people but these today take the cake!  They checked in last night and seemed happy enough but I got a call this morning at 730 am they are asking if I would mind coming to the house, when I get there I see they have covered every bit of furniture and have all their own linen and towels etc. ok but they are saying that the bed is foul smelling and it has stains.  I did see a very pale stain on one side but detected no odor but there was a place on the side where someone dropped a cup of coffee that didn't look too good but there again no smell.  I went overboard to please them and said you know what I will buy a new mattress and box spring (because they are booked for 2 months and after that my husband and I are moving in) I called and found a man willing to deliver a bed on Super bowl Sunday!  Told them a new king size bed would be delivered at 4 pm.  The bed delivery guy said he detected no bad smell coming from the bed and he told me he has heard of a lot of Airbnb guests when they want to get out of a reservation will do what these people did to me.  

Which I am beginning to wonder might be true, as immediately after we settled the bed situation  they started in on numerous other nit picky things - like SGD had no pin nor a handle on the door and they didn't feel safe - even though there was a pole on bottom as extra security. We live in a little to no crime zone- havent had in problems in our neighborhood for 35 years,  but of course they don't know that.   I had my friend who owns a window and door company over to fix it  this afternoon and they seem satisfied about that.  

I have noticed that my payment from Airbnb has not come through- now I know it is a weekend,  but could these people come and stay for 2 nights and then pick up and leave without paying if they filed a complaint with Airbnb about my home?   ( I am a Superhost by the way) Sorry to vent for so long but I just hate to end my experience with Airbnb like this after 5 good years of basically happy guests....

2 Replies 2
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Fran-and-Mike0 They have already paid, but yes they probably could leave and file a complaint and perhaps Airbnb will refund them. In your shoes I might turn the tables and advise them to cancel and leave as they are finding so many problems with the space and you don’t want them to be dissatisfied. It sounds like the sooner you are rid of them the better.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

The guest requirements for the long term booking are different than the short term guest.  Is this your first long term booking?  I am not sure why you post that these guests are germaphobes.  Stains are never good, but mostly not an issue with a short term guest who does not strip the bed.

Since you are okay with buying a new mattress/boxspring set for your own use, no problem about that.

People have different thresholds of sense of safety.  New is often experienced as not safe. What can you do as a host to help these guests get over the "new or unfamiliar" factor?  You are hoping these people will stay for 2 months.  Do not use the same hosting style as the for your short term guests.

Payment is a whole different issue.  Have you looked at the Air BNB policies about payout and cancellation for long term?  Different than the short term policies.

BTW, your cleanliness rating is substantially lower that all your ratings.  Do  you have any idea why?