FIRST time hosting. Help with missing stuff...?! Friends of guest.

Maddy56
Level 1
New York, NY

FIRST time hosting. Help with missing stuff...?! Friends of guest.

My partner and I are away and decided to put our apartment on air bnb even though it's our primary residence and has all our personal items in it, we thought one air bnb stay would be fine, it was a New Years booking and the guest seemed mature and responsive. Honestly I was hoping for a good experience and that we would do this again in the future as we often travel. There was  3 people staying in our 2 bedroom apartment, the guest and two friends. I was not able to check them in or out but a friend did and noticed right away that the wine we have in our fridge was all gone except for one bottle... we had about 6 bottles and knowing that it could be tempting, I made very clear in my welcome instruction they could drink one and no more. They also left the place in a bit of a mess, nothing outrageous but lots of dishes and leftovers in the fridge etc. certainly not the way I would never leave even a hotel room, let alone someone's place. Then my friend also noticed that an expensive candle was gone. The guest has been responsive but blamed everything on his friends and not owned up to anything until confronted, the biggest issue/fear I have is that there's other things missing that I won't notice until later on, items that are worth more money or exteremely personal and irreplacable. 

Has anyone had this experience where guests have left your house feeling violated? Like they might have gone through your things and taken stuff? 

8 Replies 8
Ashley678
Level 7
Apache Junction, AZ

hi there, you are not supposed to have personal stuff in the stay; it should be set up as though they are the first to ever stay there, meaning... it becomes their temporary home. That's what this is about. If you choose to rent out your home, be prepared to remove all your belongings. everything, even furniture that maybe sentimental or very valuable.  Sucks they drank your wine... 

Hi Ashley! 

I've stayed at lots of air bnb's all over the world and sometimes they are just for renting out, but often they are someone's home with their things in it. My impression of air bnb is it's more like staying at a friends house than a hotel. But I guess I was proven wrong! 

It's a business. And guests , especially now days, think anything in the rented , " stay " , is theirs to drink , eat or use. That's the way it works. I have also stayed all over, never once did i see their food, clothes etc... but i'm just saying if you want in the game, don't be discouraged. Just have the rules in writing, put your stuff elsewhere and set up your bank account 🙂 Good luck ! ash 

Stephen-and-Adam0
Level 7
Santiago de Querétaro, Mexico

Hey @Maddy56 

It is bad form that they drank the wine (after specific instruction not to) and took the candle (and perhaps more) but I sense you will have to put this down to experience and lock away anything you don't wish to go missing should you let out the entire place again when you are away.  

You could try making a claim via Resolution Center but be ready with evidence and receipts to back up costs.  You can also be honest when you leave a review.  

Did you charge a cleaning fee?  If so, that may be why the guest felt no need to clean up after themselves.  Next time, I would suggest being more upfront with a future guest in your welcome pack of what are your expectations for how the place should be left.  

I do hope this one bad experience does not put you off from hosting in future.  

Adam

Thanks Adam! I agree it probably will just need to be chalked up to experience. Im not that fussed about the wine + candle but just feel violated that there may be other things missing. Its made me feel like Air Bnb'ing is really not for personal homes and more for places that are ONLY to be rented out.... even though I have stayed all over in peoples homes and always been super respectful. 

Stephen-and-Adam0
Level 7
Santiago de Querétaro, Mexico

It is a bad reflection on these guests - would they take things if they were visiting a friend's house?  

I am the same - always respectful when staying in other people's homes, I even tidy up my hotel rooms before leaving 🙂  

@Maddy56  There are tons of hosts who home share in their personal home where they live. They may have just a private room they list, a few rooms, or a self-contained suite in their home. But I would never rent out my entire house, with my personal stuff in it. Airbnb guests are total strangers to you. Some may be respectful, but you certainly can't count on it. 

I'm a host who rents a privateroom/bath in my home and have never had anyone take anything, or help themselves to my food or wine or anything else. But I am living here when I have guests.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Maddy56   I would never leave anything in an airbnb that had either significant monetary value or sentimental value.  Leaving multiple bottles of wine in the apartment was asking for trouble.  Renting out your own place, in future, you really want to be there to meet the people and so to first, establish a personal connection, that it is an actual person's home, and second, go through all your rules in detail.  And if you didn't do it this time, you should do your best to secure the majority of your personal stuff so it is out of sight/reach for guests where that is possible.  If you can't do that, be very clear what closets, cabinets, etc. are for the guest use.