False accusation from guest accepted by Airbnb

Nicolas2330
Level 1
Buenos Aires, Argentina

False accusation from guest accepted by Airbnb

Guest actions:

1. After having checked in without issues, guest requested to cancel part of the booking without any explanation. We rejected this cancellation. No other communication held between the Guest and the Host.

2. Then the Guest makes a claim to Airbnb for having hurt himself at the apartment. Accusing us that he got hurt from a water drainage issue in the shower. 

From the evidence Airbnb provided to us and the conversation with the host it is obvious that the Guest is lying:

1. Photos are not in the apartment

2. It cannot be verified that this is the guest from the photos.

3. It is impossible for someone to get hurt as the photos show by falling in an apartment.

Airbnb decided to:

1. Suspend account for 7 days

2. Refund guest fully for the stay

Questions

1. How can I contact another case manager to correct this decision?

The fairness of Airbnb is the key for success of the platform. If Airbnb takes the liars side then they are providing an incentive to promote this behavior which will end up having both Hosts and Guests leaving the platform. 

I did not provide details/photos/evidence or personal information to avoid any conflict. Please comment if I can safely do this.

Any recommendations are much welcome. Desperate for justice. 

1 Reply 1
Zheng49
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Yes, there is currently a 'loophole' (as described) that can be exploited by guests that want to cancel, but can not get a full refund (for unused nights) due to the cancellation policy in effect.

You can try to get the guest to cancel and promise full refunds for any days that end up getting rebooked. This has worked pretty well for us on multiple occasions, especially since we are on a flexible cancellation policy.