False accusation from guest

Michael7329
Level 2
New York, NY

False accusation from guest

Hello community. My Airbnb listing has been suspended with no explanation why with the exception there was a security concern. I finally got some info from an Airbnb member but he said he could not give me full picture since case was held by security. I’m going on day 4 of no information and the best thing is the person handling the case is out for another day. Here are the facts guest broke a bed and is claiming they did not and after we told them we are seeking damages after they left they made a false accusation. Why would Airbnb suspended a super host account without even talking to them first. This is obviously bs and guest is lying. Worst part is I can’t get anyone to help me. And while they take their time in responding I’m losing money. This policy must change!!! I plan on writing to chesky and Powell on this. Not a good look for air bnb

19 Replies 19
Michael7329
Level 2
New York, NY

The accusation was I had hidden cameras in the house. Mind you guest only used Airbnb once before and I’m a superhost with over 150 people staying at my places and never had a complaint

@Catherine-PowellThis policy needs to be addressed. It’s very biased to superhosts and sets a bad precedent for renters

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Michael7329 I usually tag @Catherine-Powell when a superhost is suspended to demonstrate that the Airbnb policy of guilty until proven innocent is just plain wrong. No idea if it helps I am afraid.

Sorry my ignorance how do I tag Catherine powell.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Michael7329 I see you have done so now. I doubt Airbnb will change their policy as the bad publicity if they did nothing and a camera was found would be very damaging. I just wish they could work a little faster and/or prioritise those hosts with many years of good reviews.

Def no cameras inside the house. My belief is that since I was going to file a claim about the bed they broke this was there way of getting out of it. I also fully intend to take the guest to court for damages and slander. My frustration is this is day 4 of no response from Airbnb because the agent that handled the case is on vacation. How could they not reassign the case instead of letting a host hang out there to dry? It’s mind boggling. I am not one to let these things go either and I intend to make noise until this policy is changed. Terrible look for air bnb and piss poor treatment of hosts the people that bring them revenue. Thanks for answering this thread 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Michael7329 good luck with taking the guest to court. You need their name and address which Airbnb will not give you.

@Michael7329 

Yes, the F&F claims are often the result of something they neglected (didn't read the description before booking, etc) or damaged something and want to distract from it, or are simply unhappy that the pool isn't 27° in February. So, they (choose to) feel cheated and want their money back. 

A few do arrive with the intention of attempting a frivolous or fraudulent claim, but they're rare. 

Unfortunately, if they make any claim at all, it's your problem to prove them wrong. And you won't always be able to do this, even if it's completely fabricated. But that's why you should screen your guests before they book. 

Best way to avoid this is to give them precious few things to complain about, so when they do, it's likely to be something really frivolous (I saw an ant! Eek! We have children here! I want a refund!) which is unlikely to get much attention from anybody. 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Michael7329, firstly, I'm very sorry to hear that this has happened to you. I can imagine it's not a great experience.

Secondly, I have now passed this on to the team, however, please note that I'm not able to share any information as the Community Center is, unfortunately, not customer service. I'll do my best to get someone to contact you, regardless. 

Lastly, I highly recommend tagging one of us (Community Managers) as we're always online and able to respond to your comments quite quickly, and pass it on to the relevant teams should you tag us @Mike-And-Jane0 @Michael7329

Quincy 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Thank you. I just need someone to contact me and tell me exactly what’s going on. And the fact they let cases sit there being unattended for while people are out of the office is not a good experience especially when accounts are frozen. I have repeat guests that can’t book at the moment and I need to be able to manage my calendar. I am losing money while an Airbnb employee is on vacation. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

"...and after we told them we are seeking damages after they left they made a false accusation."

Best to never inform a potential adversary what is your intention.

The upshot is you do not know what accusation has been made to cause Airbnb to feel compelled to suspend your listing. One could only imagine in today's world. But yes, why all the cloak of secrecy, and why move so slow and does your case has to be permanently attached to the hip of a person by coincidence going 'out to lunch'. Very frustrating, Catch-22 situations are.

Suzanne125
Level 2
Wollstonecraft, Australia

Hi Michael

The same has happened to me this week. I got an email out of the blue saying my account is suspended to both accept and make bookings.  I had wondered why I wasn't seeing any new bookings coming in.   I only ever get 5 star reviews, until I got one crazy 42 year old lady who booked using her mother's profile came to stay for 2 nights and a suitcase full of food which she packed the fridge and freezer with.  Because I was not able to facilitate her leaving her luggage after check out for later collection at 3.30pm exactly with no prior request or discussion, after threatening to leave me a bad review, asking for the next guest's details to arrange collection from them and then leaving keeping the keys to return herself at 3.30pm, 3 weeks later she's made a complaint of some sort.  Airbnb are speaking to me as if I'm a criminal. They won't tell me why, nor how long it will take.  I suggested to them that i wouldnt be surprised that the woman is accusing me of stealing something, and still I got no inkling from them as to what I've done wrong. 

This Airbnb policy of treating us, their clients, the people that pay their wages, like criminals and we are guilty until proven innocent is appalling.  

Suzanne125
Level 2
Wollstonecraft, Australia

@Catherine-Powell  I've read from other posts that people tag you on Michael's and my issue.   We are not guilty until proven innocent.  I'd rather the police were sent around to my home to discuss the accusation if it's so bad to even suspend me from making bookings.  

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Suzanne125 ,

I am so sorry to hear that you had to go through such an experience.

As Quincy mentioned below, we Community Managers can also help in quickly raising your concerns to the relevant departments and relay your feedback, so you can always feel free to tag us.

Please be assured that I am raising the above incident with the concerned teams as well. In case I get to have any updates, I will get back to you! Or someone from the team will get back to you to share further updates, once they have looked into your case. I hope it gets resolved soon!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines