First guest review question

Paul11254
Level 1
Scarborough, ME

First guest review question

We just had our first Airbnb guests check out. They were polite, and quiet, and didn't wreck the place. However they did not follow clear house rules, such as "no vaping," or specific parking instructions, or half of the checkout instructions. 

As our first guests, I'd really like them to leave us a good review, but I'm concerned that they won't if I leave them a less than positive review.

Thoughts?

5 Replies 5
Marie8425
Level 10
Buckeye, AZ

@Paul11254 

Especially since your first guest and you probably don't vape haha, saying no smoking is  not clear enough you have to say  no vaping.  Vaping does not have the smell associated with smoking so some think they are okay.

As tol n olt following parking instructions.  That did look clear  That was also at the end of your rules.If the parking is important, I would  move No Smoking No Vaping and No Blocking Garage to the top of your rules and not worry about the no pets since you don't allow the add of a pet to a reservation.  That put at the bottom just so it is stated.

You live on the ;property and access the other half of the building.  Which is probably how you were aware he wasn't complying.  Did you commujnic ate so he had an  opportunity to correct himself.  If someone is displaying he didn't read parking directions and you didn't call it to his attention expecting he read your check out instructions without a nudge to do so sadly was high hopes.

Don't worry,  this is definitely a learning business.  I learn something new all the time.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. 

I didn't discover the vaping until after checkout. The house rules clearly stated "no smoking or vaping." 

I agree, I am learning a lot!

It's great that your first Airbnb guests were polite and left the place intact! While it's important to follow house rules, it's also crucial to get positive reviews as you start out. You might consider leaving them a neutral review, focusing on their positive traits and gently mentioning the rule breaches without being too harsh. This way, you're honest but also increase the likelihood of receiving a good review in return. For example,"Guests were polite and left the place in good condition, though a few house rules were overlooked." Balancing feedback can help both parties maintain goodwill.

I appreciate your response.

That's sort of what I was thinking too. I will think further about how to phrase it. 

Lorina14
Level 10
Bellevue, WA

@Paul11254 

Reviews are blinded to each party until both reviews are completed or 14 days post reservation, whichever one is earlier. Some hosts wait till the last day to leave a review if one has a bad interaction with the guest as many times the guest may figure an early review is negative. I would be honest but factual as this helps other hosts out.

Some guests didn’t completely read instructions for checking in and I didn’t dock them for that but if they broke a major house rule I would privately message them in the review.

In the public review you can be kind and stick to facts as that helps dissipate the emotional charge of a review. The guests were tidy and quiet but a few house rules were not followed. 

In the private review you can state that it appears there were vaping pens left at the space and we have a strict no smoking to vaping rule. We hope that these were not used in the premises as an additional cleaning fee can apply. Or something like that - you stating the fact and the outcome what would happen if they were the guilty party. I mean unless you saw them vaping you can’t accuse them of the act as it may have been their friend’s vape pen who visited and it fell out of their pocket or something.