First time hosting - guest annoyed by documentation req

Answered!
Melissa1981
Level 2
Glendale, CA

First time hosting - guest annoyed by documentation req

Our first guest is arriving tomorrow, and its not going smoothly.

Quick background: Our family stayed in this house as an airbnb and when we saw it come on the market, we jumped at it.  The previous owner/host was amazing and gave us all his info - timelines, the emails he sent, all the docs needed, etc.

So fast forward, we're more or less just using exactly the same timeline and communications that the previous host used.  The city of Palm Springs requires that we submit a signed contract with all adults who will be staying before the guest checks in, and they also require us to submit all of the license plates for cars that will be parked there.  We've rented a bunch of airbnbs in PS and always had to do this.

This guest is really unhappy about it.  My husband sent the doc over about 2 weeks ago and we didn't hear anything until my husband texted him 2 days ago and the guest replied that he'd never had a host ask so much of him and that nowhere else in Palm Springs has ever asked for all of this information.  My husband explained that we're new but this is what we're told to ask for and we haven't heard anything else.  I assume he's going to send the paperwork tomorrow and check-in as planned but it feels very uncertain.  

We have a few more guests book for the next two weeks and they've all docusigned the page and sent it back without comment.  We're not sure where we went wrong but really nervous about this being our first guest and him going into it already mad at us.  Is there anything we can do to right this situation before our first review is a negative one?  Or something we should do differently in the future to avoid it happening again?

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Just send the guest a link to the legislation you mention and confirm that sadly without them signing the documentation they will not be able to check in.

I am presuming you make it clear up front in your house rules and listing that your guests are required to provide this information as a condition of booking

@Melissa1981 

Flag with Airbnb that guests are refusing to provide documentation required by your local government.

View Best Answer in original post

1 Reply 1
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Just send the guest a link to the legislation you mention and confirm that sadly without them signing the documentation they will not be able to check in.

I am presuming you make it clear up front in your house rules and listing that your guests are required to provide this information as a condition of booking

@Melissa1981 

Flag with Airbnb that guests are refusing to provide documentation required by your local government.