First timehosting an apartment...Advice sought

Robert613
Level 3
Laurinburg, NC

First timehosting an apartment...Advice sought

I am looking for some advice regarding hosting. We have rented rooms in our home for almost 3 years and it has been mostly a good experience. These have been short term stays of no more than 5 nights. We also have an apartment on our property and our long time tenant is leaving at the end of the month. Because this is self-contained, we are going to offer it up to a month at a time. We have a few questions (1) As there is no laundry in the apartment, we were going to wash and change the linen (towels, sheets, etc) ourselves. How often do you recommend that occur? (2) We have never charged a cleaning fee as we have always done it ourselves. In a longer term situation, what cleaning should the guest be expected to assume and what cleaning should be more of our responsibility? (3) It is truly just an efficiency apartment and we have it listed for no more than two guests. Because it is small, we are not worried about parties, etc. but I would still like to make certain it is being cared for. How do you monitor the condition of the place during a lengthier stay? (4) Any other tips you can provide would be appreciated! Thanks!

5 Replies 5
Luana130
Level 10
State of Bahia, Brazil

I offer an option change of towels and bed linen at an extra cost (not much, the same a regular laundry would charge, called to check prices). I have had quite a few monthly rentals and they never asked for it, usually people bring their own linen and change to those when they want. I state that on my house rules.

Thanks for your response!

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Robert613  I would probably build in a 1x week 'light cleaning' including changing the linens into the base price or cleaning fee, that will give you access to the place each week to make sure guests are taking care of the place.  You could also do it 1x per two weeks depending on your availability.  You could also then market it as a bonus, that the place comes with cleaning service x often.  We don't do long term rentals but I would say that guests should be responsible for doing their own dishes, taking out the trash and then following whatever your final check out procedures are in terms of cleaning anything else. 

Robert613
Level 3
Laurinburg, NC

Thanks for your comments. They are very helpful!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Robert613  Another thing you might want to think about is whether you want to provide the same level of amenities to a month-long guest as to a short-term one. Longer stays are often discounted as compared to short ones, so you don't want to end up with a guest who goes through 2 rolls of toilet paper and paper towels a day and is an all day coffee drinker who'll go through a pound of coffee every 3 days. And longer term guests tend to be home more than short term ones, who are often out and about, so they'll tend to go through more stuff.

Some hosts will give LT guests a "starter pack", so they don't have to run right out to the store- maybe enough for a week, then the guest is expected to supply their own. You can choose to keep providing everything you normally would for a short stay, it's just something to consider and to make clear in your listing info and when communicating with the guest at booking time.