Found these after a poor guest

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Found these after a poor guest

20220126_205032.jpgFound these all over the living room rug. From a pellet gun?

Also evidence of smoking inside....second guest in a row that we found cigarette ashes and butts indoors after check out. This person did not communicate well at all and left the place quite messy.  

Should I mention the pellet gun stuff  in the review? I do not want guests shooting the wildlife on our property. 

30 Replies 30
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I second that @Mark116!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

@Quincy yes I am really disturbed. I wonder if there is a way to report this guest? I just added that we do not permit any hunting or using firearms on our property to our house rules. I never thought I would even have to spell that out....

Me too. I write my reviews to say, "(insert minor pleasantry here), however the guest did not follow house rules and (short explanation.) Unfortunately we are unable to host them again."

Insurance, even commercial insurance, doesn't reimburse for your personal time. I once won a court judgement against a long term tenant who tore up the apartment (which is why I don't do LTR anymore) but the judge only allowed reimbursement for the work the contractors did, but not my time doing repairs. Didn't matter, after court you have to chase them and garnish wages to get paid. My tenant never stayed at a job long enough to catch them but has a FB page full of vacation photos. Airbnb's system is actually less stressful.

In the future,  you have to pay someone to do the extra cleaning and then submit the bill to the guest in the resolution center.

Then rank them as "wouldn't host again" so future hosts with instant book that require host recommendations will have a chance to vett them before they're approved

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

They left us a poor review saying we don't have curtains (we do. Honestly though, none are pictured in photos in the main space, so I don't know what they thought when booking.) And that the heat didn't work. It does. But when the cleaners went to check out they found the windows open and cigarette butts on a window sill. So obviously they were smoking and left windows open. Hence it was quite chilly I am sure.

The most disturbing part of this whole thing is that we found several dead squirrels and birds around the property that appear to have been shot. I think this guy was hunting on our property. There is a communication barrier and he did not ask any questions during his stay. Just a weird experience. I left a response. We got a 4 overall, 4 in value and 4 in location (presumably because there were not enough things to shoot at....) He got below 3s and would not host again.

@Laura2592   I'm so sorry, that must have been awful to have the worst of the worst fear confirmed.  I guess you can't try to get him banned since, technically, you had at the time no rules about guns or hunting?  

@Mark116 I had reported him after we found the squirrels and called again today after the reviews went live. Hopefully at least I've warned others about this guest. 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Laura2592 ,

My colleague has tried to give you a bell but you were unavailable - she is reaching out via email to you now.

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

@Stephanie thank you! We have been communicating.  

nothing happens when I click on the guest's profile now... is he perhaps gone @Laura2592  ??

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Laura2592 

I am not sure what you mean by below 3s, but I guess 1 and 2* ratings. I believe this is right. I would never, ever want to host this guests. My listing is of course in a busy, urban area where shooting is not really an option, but I would also be very distressed in your situation to find out that my guests had been going around shooting the local wildlife. This is a guest that should be banned from the platform IMO.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Laura2592 

Sorry, I posted that before reading the following posts so didn't realise the guest had already been suspended or banned.

However, I would like to know if his review/ratings of you were also removed?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Laura2592 @Kelly149   Yep, looks like he's been suspended if not banned.

I'm not surprised- the use and reporting of guns on Airbnb premises is something they can't risk being publicized as them turning a blind eye to. 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Thanks to @Stephanie for elevating this matter appropriately. The guest seems to be totally inactive. I got an email saying the case was closed as well. 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for coming back to me on this @Laura2592 and sorry again about this dreadful ordeal.

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines