Gift card rip off

Gift card rip off

My sisters and I purchased a $500 Airbnb gift card for my mom for her Birthday September 2019 from Kroger.  She just went to use it on 5/19/20 and was told the gift card expired because she did not use it or claim it within 90 days so it is now void and the payment was credited back to the card used for purchase.  The problem is, we paid with a mix of cash and card.   After remaining on hold for 1.5 hours, then 3 hours, my mom was told she would have to wait for a case worker.  There has been no refund to the debit card used and they did not provide proof that it was credited there. 

This is shameful. Airbnb's website does not mention gift cards expiring anywhere. The gift card itself clearly states the 'funds do not expire'.  Airbnb is in the business of ripping people off.   Buyers beware! 

6 Replies 6
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

The credit doesn't expire once added to the Airbnb account, @Amber439. See https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/981/how-do-airbnb-gift-cards-work . It's not such a bad set-up considering many gift cards do expire.

While Airbnb may be many things, they're not in the business of ripping people off. You might just need to be a little more patient under the circumstances, but I'm sure you'll get it sorted. 

Airbnb gift cards do get expired even uploaded to airbnb account as credits. I uploaded my two gift cards in the end of year 2019 and the credits got expired in year 2023 without any notification.

Same thing happened to me. My gift card that has terms and conditions saying it does not next expire....well, expired. They said it was due to a system update and it was being forwarded to a department to be looked into. And then......nothing. 4 months later (today) I reached out and was told it was being forwarded along, again. I received 3 'forwarding your case' messages today when I asked for more information. Absolutely unacceptable.

I am also in the same boat. Airbnb support is saying gift was expired after getting added to account. They closed my case after saying, they cant help further.

I am having the same issue with some gift cards.  Airbnb keeps saying reach out to paypal as they have to do it.  Anyone ever get a resolution on one of their cases and what did you have to do?  I have tried calling 4 different times and each time i get the run around.

Same thing happened to me; had more than $600 in gift card balance in my account. I tried contacting Airbnb support 3 times without any luck. This is a scam operation at this point. I am going to file a complaint with CFPB and suggest others who are affected to do the same.