Google Ads linking directly to specific Airbnb properties

Yvonne41
Level 10
Kirkland, WA

Google Ads linking directly to specific Airbnb properties

In December 2015 we purchased our vacation home with the intent to rent it out, and gave the bug infested Washington Coast home a makeover and had it named Pacific Pearl Beach House with our first bookings soon thereafter in 2016. We have built out our social media accounts, and grew an organic search presence on Google. I noticed about two years ago, that Vacasa brought a house online in Lincoln City, Oregon and named it "Pacific Pearl Beachhouse", (not long after I turned down paying Vacasa 25% to manage our Ocean City, Washington home). At the time I noticed, I reached out to the owner and politely asked them to add the name Lincoln City and call out that it was in Oregon so they wouldn't steal our rental traffic. They never did. I have now noticed that Airbnb's own Google Adwords ads are driving traffic straight to this other Lincoln City home, on the search terms Pacific Pearl Beach House!? And, I am so mad, for obvious reasons. We have had a significant decline in bookings to our home on Airbnb. I have asked them to stop doing this, and they have not done so and not had any answers for why they are doing this. Because I don't book directly, I am not super excited about trademarking our name so I can hire a lawyer to tell Airbnb to stop using our name to push reservations at this other vacation house. Also, our nightly rate is higher than this other STR, and Airbnb would benefit by gaining more fees if they simply drove that Ad traffic to our home to book instead. 

Anyone else ever come up against this?

1 Reply 1
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Yvonne41 FWIW when I search "pacific pearl beach house" both houses come up, though yes, the first sponsored link is to the other one. If you have not trademarked the name I'm not sure there's much you can do about it, but you could maybe try reaching out to the owner again, as the confusion is really not in their interest either. The listing doesn't appear to be still managed by Vacasa and I wouldn't bother with Airbnb. I doubt they have humans making their ad decisions and they're unlikely to respond to your concern.

FWIW, nobody familiar with the area could possibly mistake Lincoln City for Ocean City.