Guest Demanding a Refund

Answered!
Samia85
Level 2
Burien, WA

Guest Demanding a Refund

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/52221006

I am a relatively new host, but have achieved Superhost status, and have had only one 4-star review to 26, 5-star reviews, and have had nothing but positive feedback. A guest made a last-minute booking for two days today-- Saturday and Sunday nights, and just sent me a message that he was not comfortable. 

My listing is in a remote ravine, and it is clear from the listing photos that there are no curtains on the view-facing windows (by design and there is complete privacy). No one has ever had issue with the furniture comfort (almost everything brand new) or size and placement of the TV (which he could move if he chose).

Samia85_1-1642913968893.jpeg

Samia85_2-1642914227274.jpeg

As you can see he is asking for a refund for tomorrow. It is highly unlikely I will be able to re-rent the room, and I have already told my cleaner that I would not need her until Monday.

I do feel his demand for a refund is unjustified. He is surely to leave me a poor review regardless of what I do. I feel a bit cornered. 

Any advice?

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/52221006

**[Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Peace, Love & Justice
Samia
1 Best Answer
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Samia85 

I can't comment on the comfort of the furniture but, if you haven't already done so, I would include a mention on your listing (maybe under 'other things to note') that some of the windows do not have curtains and explain why and that other people cannot see in. If that isn't mentioned, then the guest sort of has a valid reason for complaint. On the other hand, it seems pretty obvious from the photos, but guests usually don't notice details like this when looking at the listing. At least if it is mentioned, you have covered yourself.

Whilst it might not bother most guests, some do get funny about this sort of thing. I don't have curtains/blinds on one of my bathroom windows, only privacy film on sections of them. I have reasons why I would prefer not to have them in there and have tested whether anyone can see it and they can't (it's against the laws of physics so a 'sensible' guest would realise this). Still, the occasional guest freaks out about it. Annoying as it is, I feel like I'll just have to cover the rest of the windows with the privacy film.

If you can bear to do it, maybe think about installing some unobtrusive blinds above the windows which don't spoil the view when not in use but provide a sense of privacy for those that want it.

RE the TV, I would take this on board as feedback for improvement. If it is easy enough to do so (you said the guest could have moved it), put it in a more practical place for viewing. Otherwise, if this is the only guest who took issue with it, then perhaps it's not worth it.

View Best Answer in original post

18 Replies 18
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Samia85   Just chiming in... it is very obvious that you do not have curtains or window coverings, so I would not rent your place.  I am a person who wants to pull the curtains closed for coziness and cuddle up in bed...even if the only thing that could see me when the curtains are open is a bird.  The guest was wrong and/or possibly deceitful.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Samia85 we have had this debate for ages.

Our main living space is quite dark naturally being surrounded by shade and having 18 inch thick stone walls with very deep window wells. When we began, we did not have curtains in order to keep the place as bright as possible. Neighbors cannot see into our space when indoors due to the angle of their home (and I have gone over there and tested this.) The bedroom and bathrooms have curtains or coverings. 

Our older guests complained about the lack of curtains. It was exclusively older guests in our case. The younger guests asked for additional lights in the main space. We generally make no changes until we have a critical mass (3 or more) of the same feedback. So after about a year and a half hosting and 3 of the same suggestions we decided to put up some cafe rods in the main living/kitchen area with vintage lace curtains. That way we still get light. 

Since doing so we occasionally have guests who open all the curtains who try to get more light, and one recent elderly gentleman who hung sheets over the windows in order to obscure any view. I say do what you want to with your listing. You can't please everyone. I personally would never even register if a listing had curtains or not. I certainly would not expect a refund for a window treatment or lack thereof!

@Laura2592  Thanks for the feedback. I shall use your critical mass test before spending to install curtains. 🙂 

Peace, Love & Justice
Samia
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Samia85   I wouldn't stay in a place without blinds or curtains in the bedroom and it has nothing to do with privacy. I am not interested in the view at  6:30 am. I am interested in sleeping at that time and I couldn't do that with light streaming in the windows.