Guest Non-Responsive

Guest Non-Responsive

We have our first no responsive guest scheduled to arrive 3/6. She asked about parking 2 cars and I replied and asked questions. Her profile has no reviews and she looks young- I’m worried about a Spring Break party happening at our place. 
She hasn’t answered any of our questions. 
Can we cancel her reservations for non responsiveness? Every guest we’ve had for past two years has been great and no issues. 
Help please. 

3 Replies 3
Roberta2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Kim-And-Adam0 

I would try:

1) call them - not only send message via the app.

If no answer

2) call airbnb and ask THEM to contact the guest. If they are not able to contact the guest, they can cancel the booking for you. Just tell them you are not comfortable with the guest and the spring break weekend.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Kim-And-Adam0 I bet she will answer fairly quick if you try texting her phone.

@Kim-And-Adam0   Is this an Instant Book guest that hasn't responded to any of your correspondence? If so, Airbnb might grant you a penalty-free cancellation. But you would have to call Airbnb to confirm this; what you definitely should not do is manually cancel the booking yourself.

Your suspicions may well have some merit. Is the guest based in your local area? Is the booking for only 1 or 2 nights? Are two cars more than you'd expect from a group of their size?

Your listing does not appear to have a rule about unregistered guests/visitors, and merely saying "No Parties or Events" does not account for the wide range of opinions on what does and doesn't constitute a party. This will make things a little harder for you. But you can still contact the guest to clarify that the number of booked guests are the only people that are permitted on the property at any point in the stay, and if the guest fails to give you assurance on this point, you'll be on firmer ground to pursue an administrative cancellation.  For future bookings, though, I strongly suggest updating your House Rules to reflect in specific language what you are trying to prevent, so that you need not make a distinction between younger and older guests that some might find discriminatory.

You can also take precautions to prevent parties. External cameras and noise monitors are the choice of some hosts, though a longer minimum stay and no instant-book are in my opinion the most effective filters.