Guest asking for a refund

Answered!

Guest asking for a refund

Hello,

so I’m pretty new to Airbnb as a host, and recently I had this lady who had absolutely no complaints during the stay. After she checked out, she left a complete mess for the house. It seemed like she had a party at the house with lots of empty alcohol bottles and balloons everywhere, which party isn’t allowed and there wasn’t any communication about a party. Later in the day she texted asking for a $100 refund because there was large amount of ant in the counter which non of my past guests has ever complained about, nor has my cleaning service has said anything about ants in the house. It seems like she’s was threatening me with a bad review to give her the refund. Should I give her the refund when she doesn’t have any prove? 

1 Best Answer
Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

@Guoying0  I'm sorry this happened to you!
I hope you took photos of the balloons and other mess, and started up a chat with Airbnb customer service, to get extra cleaning fee and review removed from this guest for hosting a not-allowed party.

But I had a quick look at your listing.
Your house is lovely.

but you have a 4 bedroom villa, you are renting for less than 300 dollars a night (plus cleaning)?  And you allow 1 night stay by instant book?

I mean really what can you expect except people wanting to have parties.  Was this person travelling from locally and booked only one or two nights?  There you have it.

You need to update your parameters and house rules, not allow 1 night stays, increase your price depending on how many people, install outdoor camera to see how many people coming, be on top of communication and check in to make sure people arriving are all registered on your booking.  Take ID.  Not Airbnb ID process, that is separate, airbnb will not share with you.  Get their name, adress, email, ID info, for all guest staying.  If they rent a bicycle, they must give ID.  Why not to you, for your home.

Good luck and all the best!

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Guoying0 I wouldn't refund this guest. Do make sure you

a) Leave an honest review of the guest

b) Reply to her text on Airbnb messenger saying 'I am sorry but there were no ants in the property and so I cannot agree to your request for a $100 refund' so that at least the request is logged with Airbnb.

I am afraid you are likely to get a bad review whatever you do so don't waste money as well.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Guoying0  No No No.  Send the guest a request for extra cleaning and suggest that empty alchohol bottles may have been the reason for the ants which are not generally in the home. Tell the guest also that they signed an agreement not to have a party . Ask how many guests stayed over night and why you were not notified of visitors , which should clearly be in your rules, and ask for extra fees for those extra guests . Do not even answer the request for a refund but work out your own review to notify others of this guests manners. Keep the messaging from the guest in case you need it to remove a threatened bad review. Its amazing how badly some people can prove to be as guests.... H

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you haven't done so already install CCTV so you can ensure only those who have booked use your place @Guoying0  (please read Airbnb rules for cameras so this are clearly indicated on the listing  correctly . 

Say to the guest that unfortunately the  resulting mess including leftover alcohol bottles  that was left as a result of the party she had at your place is likely to be the cause of any ants . 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Guoying0 

How did you decide to resolve this in the end?

There's some great advice from @Helen3@Helen744 and @Mike-And-Jane0 (thanks to all!) - I hope that you found it supportive and that it helped you decide on the best way to deal with this.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

@Guoying0  I'm sorry this happened to you!
I hope you took photos of the balloons and other mess, and started up a chat with Airbnb customer service, to get extra cleaning fee and review removed from this guest for hosting a not-allowed party.

But I had a quick look at your listing.
Your house is lovely.

but you have a 4 bedroom villa, you are renting for less than 300 dollars a night (plus cleaning)?  And you allow 1 night stay by instant book?

I mean really what can you expect except people wanting to have parties.  Was this person travelling from locally and booked only one or two nights?  There you have it.

You need to update your parameters and house rules, not allow 1 night stays, increase your price depending on how many people, install outdoor camera to see how many people coming, be on top of communication and check in to make sure people arriving are all registered on your booking.  Take ID.  Not Airbnb ID process, that is separate, airbnb will not share with you.  Get their name, adress, email, ID info, for all guest staying.  If they rent a bicycle, they must give ID.  Why not to you, for your home.

Good luck and all the best!