Guest booked for 6 nights but wants a refund now

Guest booked for 6 nights but wants a refund now

My guest booked for 6 nights. He just called after 1 night and would like a refund for the other 5 nights. The accommodations were fine- he just said it was further than he thought from his work site that week.  What to do? This is the first time this has happened.

[Title updated by OCM to make it relevant to the post]

7 Replies 7
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

@Katherine908 Well…I would say that not knowing how far something is from a destination he needs to get to, is on him. You can be nice about letting him know that, though.

You can offer to reimburse him for the nights you are able to rebook, as a special favor. 

Thank you for your suggestions. I talked with ABNB support as well. 

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Katherine908 

Katherine, he booked it and you can't move it to where he wants it!

I would say to him in the Airbnb message stream......"I am sorry that you feel there is a need to cancel the rest of your stay and would like a refund. I am more than happy to discuss a refund but, firstly lets wait until the review window opens and we fulfill our duty and have our reviews of each other published. I will then be prepared to open refund negotiations. All the best....Katherine".

What this does Katherine, it puts the problem firmly back in the guests lap. It was not your fault that he booked in the wrong location, and he needs to not only wear that but, be aware that a 'good rating' is not something that you as the host need to lose money to obtain......If he wants 'some' of his money back for what is, his stupid blunder, he needs to earn it....... not expect it.

Good luck mate.

Cheers.......Rob

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Katherine908 ,

I hope the insights from our members have helped you in deciding the further course of action. Did you eventually refund this guest? 

As you mentioned, you had reached out to Support as well. Do keep us updated on what action you took in this situation!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thanks @Pat271 . He said if I gave him a refund he would give me a good rating- so I'm not sure what I'm dealing with here. 

@Katherine908 You’re dealing with extortion! What he is suggesting is completely against Airbnb policy.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

What refund is he entitled to under your cancellation policy @Katherine908 

Just say you're sorry he didn't check travel distances before booking. 

you can suggest if he cancels and you're able to rebook any of the days as a gesture of good will on your part you will refund proportionally @Katherine908 

I presume you've already advised him on Airbnb that it's against Airbnb's terms to offer a good review in return for financial gain?