Guest booking with initials ONLY

Guest booking with initials ONLY

4/29/2023

I have not been booking a lot through Airbnb lately, because I require the name of who is bookking.  NOT just an initial.

Safe Haven clearly states Women Only.  A person with an initial booked the room AFTER I explained it was a room for WOMEN ONLY.  It turned out it was a man.  This makes me very uncomfortable.  NOW, I ask for their name and if I am in doubt, I suppose I will need to ask if they are born a female or male.  Yet, I suppose that will be considered prejudice, even though I am only trying to protect myself.  This guest room is within my home and across from my bedroom 

How are other Hosts handling this?

Thank you.

8 Replies 8
Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

say you require ID. Many places require ID for all guests.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Priscilla150 Just to be absolutely clear - Airbnb does allow shared home hosts to limit the gender of guests to their gender. This is not prejudice or discrimination but just common sense. I also assume it must be entirely legal.

I am a single woman and as such, I only allow women to stay within my home. According to Airbnb, that is acceptable.  As such, I need to know if the person wanting to book is or is not a female at birth.  I am not being  prejudice or discriminating, I am protecting myself.

Pascale653
Level 4
Newington, Australia

I’m also a woman sharing an apartment with women only guests (spare bedroom).  If in doubt, I always ask guests to confirm their gender (I don’t ask if they are born man or woman as such).  I’ve recently had to turn two men guests who had not noticed the obvious which is that the bedroom is only offered to women (in the title, in the description, in house rules and just about everywhere).  Today, I’ve had a request from someone foreign with initial in another language, but enquiry in English.  That guest shows with good reviews in translated English, with those reviews always referring to the guest as a guest, never as a ‘he’ or a ‘she’, which is a problem.  I’ve messaged the guest to ask about their gender and if I don’t have an answer within the 24 hours timeframe for me to potentially accept the booking, I will have no hesitations but to decline this guest, because I consider that a lack of reply is a lack of respect, suspicious and especially unsafe.  

Hope this helps. 

@Pascale635 There are a few steps to take in this case . Are you aware that Airbnb have already ascertained the guests identity and taken ID. If you have had no answer then I suggest that you use the phone number supplied by the guest to get in touch and to ask for the guest to read all rules and send through Id as Airbnb do not provide you with the id that they collectand re iterate that knowing who is in your home at all times is both for your safety and your guests... H

Also remember to duplicate all phone messages via messaging as welll... H

Hi @Helen744,

Thank you, that is helpful.  

P

The phone number only shows up after they book.