Guest brought unauthorized 12 guests, 3 pets and stayed past check out

Vitalii11
Level 2
Las Vegas, NV

Guest brought unauthorized 12 guests, 3 pets and stayed past check out

Hello, 

The guest booked place for 1 person but brought 12 more. Also, they didn't add pets to the reservation but in fact they brought 3 dogs which poop everywhere. The guest didn't check out on time. I open a case and informed airbnb and they refused to adjust reservation or compensate for anything. Is this a standard scenario how airbnb works? 

2 Replies 2
Dawn241
Level 10
Sierra Vista, AZ

The cost per guest over 2 didnt  work for me. People always said 1-2 and brought 4-5. We allow max 4. Now I just charge the same price for 1-4 people. Try raising your base price. 

I think if the place holds 12 and someone says 1, that’s a red flag. I would ask them to confirm the number of guests and remind them of the outdoor cameras, and the fact you have to be accountable to your neighbors, HOA, and short term rental license if all are applicable. 

as far as the dogs, do you not allow? Or didn’t they not disclose and not pay a pet fee? 

if you have outdoor cameras, show Airbnb the videos and take pictures of the excessive cleaning and damage. 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Vitalii11 @Dawn241 

Yes, a place that accommodates 12 but booked for 1 would be a big red flag for me. That could be a mistake, but very likely was deliberate.

I would have let them know immediately that unless they book for the correct number of persons (and pay, if applicable) then their booking would be nullified (if they even got that far). And then I'd report it to Airbnb in the same instant (not that it would necessarily make any immediate difference, but at least it's on record for future reference, should it escalate into a larger issue).

The trashing of the house is to be expected when you have guests that have something to hide. Learning to smell that coming is a acquired art - let this be a lesson. Better to keep them from booking it in the first place, rather than suffer the wrath.

Good luck and happy hosting.